Thread: Best lakes to explore a few hours around Vancouver

Best lakes to explore a few hours around Vancouver

Hi everyone,

Heading for a drive with a few friends and a maybe a camp overnight this weekend.
    Was wondering what some people favourite spots were. Have a bunch of tackle just no boat, so ideally places with lots of variety in shore access.

Anyhow let me know if you wish to share some general ideas.

Thanks ahead of time!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best lakes to explore a few hours around Vancouver

Harrison or Lillooet lakes are great for camping, not too sure about fishing... but I stay away from crowds so not for me on a long weekend...
    I used to do the loop from the LML via Harrison mills (sasquatch inn) all the way up Harrison lake with a few nice pit stops along the way...I often would skip 20 mile bay (Beautiful spot but often over crowded) but there is a spot around 5 mile bay just before the road gets a bit steep and rough that has a creek coming in and when there isn't piles of garbage or a burned out camper dumped there (like there was last time I went by there) it is incredibly scenic...you also pass 2 sets of hotsprings after Harrison lake... one just north west of the log sort at the north end of the lake and the other at St. Agnes Wells (AKA Skookumchuck hotsprings) between Harrison lake and Lillooet lake....the rest of the loop takes you to pemberton then whistler then back to the LML (whole loops drive time is about 8-10 hours) One note of caution is that police often set up road blocks on these roads at the beginning of the long weekends to take all liquor and make you go to court to fight to get it back....never happened to me personally but have heard the stories from others
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 07-07-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Seton High line trail... Seton portage... if I was based from the big city like you this is what I would venture to do.. pack up, hit the road ... Seton /Anderson/Carpenter lakes.. not to mention some smaller lakes.. be a nice road trip..continue on and do the loop and come down the Fraser Canyon.

Have you been to mill lake in Abbotsford. It's beautiful this time of year. Always a few people camping in the bushes around there.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Have you been to mill lake in Abbotsford. It's beautiful this time of year. Always a few people camping in the bushes around there.
    I was gonna say como lake but decided to be helpful instead....heheheh

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I was gonna say como lake but decided to be helpful instead....heheheh
    Hahaha
    Thanks.
    I'm really into the derbate of whether to go North towards Pemberton or east to the interior, and which direction will I run into the most spots that I can cast the line a few times from shore easiest.

Wells Gray Park. There are several good foot access lakes that have plenty of shore casting opportunity. They are also stocked with Pennask All female Triploid Rainbow Trout.

Quote Originally Posted by jassmine View Post
    Hahaha
    Thanks.
    I'm really into the derbate of whether to go North towards Pemberton or east to the interior, and which direction will I run into the most spots that I can cast the line a few times from shore easiest.
    if you have a decent 4by4 you will really enjoy the drive as the road goes from right along the lake in spots to way up overlooking Harrison with super long views...I would go the Harrison direction on the way in to get away from pavement sooner if you choose that trip....if your vehicle is not off-road ready then drive through whistler/pemberton/mt currie and down the Lillooet lake road 50 km to skookumchuck/st agnes wells....the other hotspring closer to the log-sort (lineham logging used to run it) is called Sloquet creek hotsprings and I think you can drive to it with a regular car and a short hike down a closed road (1/2 km) then return the same way (to avoid the west side of Harrison that has a few tough spots on the road)
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 07-07-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Global warming has raised water levels to such an extent that shore fishing is now a thing of the past,
    best to stay home and sign petitions to abolish fossil fuels, you'll have way more fun.