Thread: Best Topo (Paper) maps for Region 3

Best Topo (Paper) maps for Region 3

Got an LEH doe draw for one of the MU's in Region 3 and want to focus hunting this area this year. Also want to carry a map in the field with a compass as a back up for my HuntBuddy GPS app.

What is the best place to buy a good quality topo map of this area?

I have seen a few a hunting stores etc, but they are usually of a while region and don't have much specific details.

Cheers.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best Topo (Paper) maps for Region 3

www.canmaps.com.... aquaseal works good to protect... in the past I have hit the surveying places some
    may have stock on the maps you are looking for... but just download from the site I posted or you can purchase from them.

I can probably print you one if you PM me details...its only a doe draw lol. What area?
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

http://www.mytopo.com/products/canada-topo-maps.cfm

customize the area and print on waterproof material.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    www.canmaps.com.... aquaseal works good to protect... in the past I have hit the surveying places some
    may have stock on the maps you are looking for... but just download from the site I posted or you can purchase from them.

http://www.canmaps.com/topographic/bc/

I second this recommendation. Bought 4 for the area I needed at the 1:50,000 scale. The waterproof ones have that nice silky feel.

Agreed, much better to have a non-high tech backup. I also carry a couple of backup phone battery chargers and a Spot 3 beacon. Cause you never know! Had a widowmaker crash down about 20 meters from me a couple of weeks ago while hiking.

Also, my "secret" is to go into google maps in the Satellite mode and zoom in to a decent altitude [say 500m] and then screen capture, save and move the interest area and repeat. After capturing the zone with a series of images [keep them same scale], use a image stitching application to make one large detailed map. Then superimposed the zone boundary over this base map [on the computer] and add notes [road wash out] and other details [alternate roads, check this cut]. For kicks, I added a grid overlay with a 1km scale that will give you a rough distance guide. Then send to London Drug for a print.

Use this for pre-season scouting, hunting and prospecting for gold as well.

I go to these guys

http://www.itmb.ca/

And look at MEC too

Quote Originally Posted by VFX_man View Post
    http://www.canmaps.com/topographic/bc/

I second this recommendation. Bought 4 for the area I needed at the 1:50,000 scale. The waterproof ones have that nice silky feel.

Agreed, much better to have a non-high tech backup. I also carry a couple of backup phone battery chargers and a Spot 3 beacon. Cause you never know! Had a widowmaker crash down about 20 meters from me a couple of weeks ago while hiking.

Also, my "secret" is to go into google maps in the Satellite mode and zoom in to a decent altitude [say 500m] and then screen capture, save and move the interest area and repeat. After capturing the zone with a series of images [keep them same scale], use a image stitching application to make one large detailed map. Then superimposed the zone boundary over this base map [on the computer] and add notes [road wash out] and other details [alternate roads, check this cut]. For kicks, I added a grid overlay with a 1km scale that will give you a rough distance guide. Then send to London Drug for a print.

Use this for pre-season scouting, hunting and prospecting for gold as well.
    That is a great idea! I never thought of that. Thanks for sharing!

Backroads Maps (BRMB) provide some nice waterproof maps in topo for BC - I have the current digital version and it is really good. Might be worth a look too.
    Tick tock, tick tock...waiting for hunting season...

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    That is a great idea! I never thought of that. Thanks for sharing!

x2 - great idea! I need to be more tech-savy for that..