Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Calling - bushcrafting and questions

Moose Calling - bushcrafting and questions

Hi all, just finished making my first Birch Bark Moose Call last night. Not as tricky as I thought it might be. Harvested the Birch from a downed tree last weekend - hardest part was getting it off and softened. Nothing a couple of days soak in the creek couldn't fix. Found the deer scapula walking back from the trail camera check . . . guess someone didn't make it through the winter.

Anyway, the questions:

Have a Nov. LEH "Any Bull Moose" tag in eastern Zone 3.

1) Will they respond to calls in November [post rut -- my understanding is rut is end of Sept to first of Oct]?
    2) Could there possibly be a 2nd rut around the first of November?
    3) Will be back up scouting at the beginning of August and again in September -- would they respond to a test calling that early in the year?

The news I'm the most stoked about . . . one of the neighbours [we know] in the region offered to go with me on the hunt. He lives there year round and is a former trapper --- he knows where a few are hanging out.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mooseCallMedium.jpg 
Views:	860 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	6409  

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose Calling - bushcrafting and questions

Moose will talk year round and will come to a call of course the rut, curiosity and socialization. There is a late rut for the cow that did not make it on the first round of breeding. You just have to use the right call at the right time to get maximum results.

I don't known if you know this website: "All about moose. "
    The best source of moose knowledge short of field experience Imo. Nice job on the call! Good luck hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by VFX_man View Post
    Hi all, just finished making my first Birch Bark Moose Call last night. Not as tricky as I thought it might be. Harvested the Birch from a downed tree last weekend - hardest part was getting it off and softened. Nothing a couple of days soak in the creek couldn't fix. Found the deer scapula walking back from the trail camera check . . . guess someone didn't make it through the winter.

Anyway, the questions:

Have a Nov. LEH "Any Bull Moose" tag in eastern Zone 3.

1) Will they respond to calls in November [post rut -- my understanding is rut is end of Sept to first of Oct]?
    2) Could there possibly be a 2nd rut around the first of November?
    3) Will be back up scouting at the beginning of August and again in September -- would they respond to a test calling that early in the year?

The news I'm the most stoked about . . . one of the neighbours [we know] in the region offered to go with me on the hunt. He lives there year round and is a former trapper --- he knows where a few are hanging out.

Nice job on the moose call ! Great satisfaction on making something yourself !
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Nice job on the moose call ! Great satisfaction on making something yourself !
    Arctic Lake
    Thanks, That's why I started tying flies for fly fishing a few years back -- catching something on something you made is more satisfying for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot View Post
    I don't known if you know this website: "All about moose. "
    The best source of moose knowledge short of field experience Imo. Nice job on the call! Good luck hunting!
    Have been reading that, definately a good source. Have only physical seen 1 moose in the wild, way north, almost in the Yukon last year. He was hauling ass away from me, but stopped and looked back when I tried a moose vocalization.

testing higher res photo

Very nice Bushcrafting... Feel free to join my group on facebook called Canadian Bushcrafting and share there as well.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Looks good, nice craftsmanship! I personally like a cut off traffic cone, I haven't seemed to loose it either!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

There is an old thread on here, moose calling 101. TONS of great info on there.

My good friend has called in and shot moose on aprox the 28th of october last two years