Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Defence Suggestions

Deer Defence Suggestions

Our cabin borders on an area of Crown Land and the Tulameen River, we've been walking our dogs there 2-3 times daily, sun, snow, all year 'round for the last 14 years.
    There are deer there, from Spring to Fall, of course they high tail it when hunting season starts.
    Over the years we've noted the deer getting more aggressive, often "stalking" us when we have the dogs along. They've pretty well lost all fear of humans and dogs.
    We regularly encounter black bears, have run into Bobcats, Cougar and a young Grizzly, no problems, the only critters we fear are the deer.
    Our older dog was turtled by a doe years back, she now tends to ignore them. Our younger dog ran into 2 does a month ago, he was startled, moved towards them ( they were maybe 10 ft. away on a very small rise ) the deer snorted, he came back to me immediately. The deer then proceeded to stalk us the rest of the walk, keeping 10 - 30 ft. away, behind, in front, beside us. The dogs were leashed for safety.
    I've tried hollering at the deer, throwing rocks and sticks at them, buggers just keep it up.
    I appreciate that in many cases the deer are protecting a fawn and we try to avoid conflict but damned if I'm gonna cease the walks.
    So, question of the day is "What is the best non lethal deer defence suggestion."
    Have a slingshot and steel shot, don't want to do any harm, just scare the buggers off.
    I apply every year, and fail every year, for a doe LEH, figured I could eliminate at least one of the offenders.
    Any ideas what the legal implications of shooting one in "self defence" are ?
    Could tell the story of our then neighbour tearing off with her Hubbie's 30-06 to shoot a deer that had cornered their Lab but that' a story for another day.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Deer Defence Suggestions

I thought this thread was going to be a joke so I wasn't prepared to provide a serious answer... Rubber buckshot? Bear spray? Punch them in the snout?

The best answer would come from a CO....Everyone else is assuming you have the right to shoot an animal..In a legal hunting season I was told by CO's that you do have the right to defend yourself but must self report asap..When in doubt go to the source...Dennis

I carry a 5' walking staff with a nice burl on the end. The deer know I will use it. I also have used paintball guns. If you freeze the paint balls, when you carry them they thaw a bit. When you use them, they have both impact and marking tendencies. While having coffee on the deck, we watched two does stalk a guy walking his dog this morning. He was doing what he could to avoid them.

Have you tried a punch in the face...?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRT7lf8byw

Some good advice - keep 'em coming.
    The frozen paintballs sounds promising. I tried out the slingshot with steel balls on the shed I'm tearing down, methinks might be too much penetration.
    Yes, will ask the CO to be certain of my rights - the deer probably has more rights.
    "Punch to the face", intriguing but that's getting a little too close for my comfort.

You can buy predator urine in liquid and pellet form from places.(online) sprinkle some of that around where u walk. I'm sure the does would leave the area asap if they happened upon wolf urine. Might make them a little more afraid in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Yes, will ask the CO to be certain of my rights - the deer probably has more rights.
    In my jaded experience if you ask a CO, you will get their 'opinion'. If they like wildlife (IE are a protectionist), they'll advise you not to, if they view urban wildlife as a conservationist or nuisance, they might suggest deterrents are a good idea. I wouldn't put much value in asking a CO.

Bring a stun cane from canadaammo

How about Bear bangers. Easy to carry and sound like a gunshot.