Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Which lever action to buy

Re: Which lever action to buy

I own a 45/70 Marlin and a 270 Win BLR:

It depends on a few factors - will you be brush hunting more with closer range shots? Going after moose and to use as bear defense as well? A Marlin 45/70 is superior for this. Especially if you are going to reload, ammo can be made quite cheap.

If you want a general purpose rifle where shots at 80 - 300 yards is going to be more common I highly recommend the BLR. This rifle is almost a hybrid with a bolt action, and I recommend 30/06, 270 or 308 to use.. all have cheap/readily available ammo and can take down most if not all game in BC. Avoid the long magnums as these will have too long of a lever range to cycle rounds.

After using both though, and I had a choice I would recommend a 308 BLR with a low power scope (ex. 2-7x VX2, gold ring matches gold trigger ) as it will be the best of both worlds and should serve to fill both needs.

Also, FYI I can shoot the BLR much faster than the Marlin - the BLR has a shorter lever throw and is much smoother. I haven't measured it but I could say I could almost shoot the BLR 1.5-2x faster.
    Last edited by jaybe14; 07-05-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Go handle a marlin big loop 45/70, excellent rifles and 45/70 is an awesome deer cartridge.
    Big fat heavy slow bullets through the ribs cause very little meat damage and kill very effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    Well thanks for the information guys and ferenc I'll definitely check out the show. I think I'm going to go 30-30 maybe .308. If anyone else has a lever for sale pls pm me
    I have Marlins in 30-30 and 44 Mag, both great rifles for what you anticipate. I'd be concerned with a 30-30 for Grizzly but as others have said, Grizzly are not common in the areas you are interested. Now, having said that, a number of years ago we walked across the river behind our Tulameen place with the dogs and came across a young grizzly. That was just after we attended a presentation that said Grizzlies had been extirpated in the area. Guess this grizzly hadn't head that.
    Also have 3 Henry's in various rim fire calibres, these are the slickest actions I've ever encountered, if the centre fire ones are as slick, they'd be nice.
    Have a Puma in .357 which is a tiny rifle to carry, probably not a usefull calibre for what you are looking at.
    The Savage 99 is a great starter, have one in .308 that sits in the safe, if you are interested PM me. We live in Hope, easy to bring it home from the cabin to show ya.
    The suggestions to go to the HACS Show are dead on, good opportunity to touch and feel most of the rifles that have been suggested.
    Lots of advice from knowledgeable folks there, just be prepared to bargain hard, newbies have been known to go home with a "new" gun having paid a lot.

BLR. In 308 Win. ! Too bad they never chambered the 338 Fed in it Would be perfect ! imo. RJ

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

There is a 444 marlin on HBC buy and sell. 265gr hornady will kill deer, moose, Grizz, easy! I shoot my 444 out to 200 yrds, dinging the gong more than not, with open sights to boot! I like all the levers mentioned here, but I went with a JM stamped Marlin XTR! Just my .002! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Leave the 30-30's for the wives and girlfriends.
    No way, I love my 30-30, I'd give my wife my 243 but I get my 30-30 hands down.

Well I'd like to stick with iron sights. I like the old school cowboy style. And I never shoot deer farther than 50 yards never seem to see them any farther.

Then why would you punish yourself with anything larger than a 30-30? Cheap ammo and a joy to shoot. I shoot my win94 with a steel butt plate and love it.

If you want a general purpose rifle where shots at 80 - 300 yards is going to be more common I highly recommend the BLR. This rifle is almost a hybrid with a bolt action
    It isn't almost a hybrid, it basically is a bolt action that is cycled by a lever rather than a bolt handle. If you look at a BLR's specs you will see that they all have the exact same length and weight as the rest of Browning bolt actions with the exception that they will shave off a couple inches off the barrel to make it look a bit shorter. Their actions are all the same length. A classic tube fed marlin 336 or Win 94 will look positively diminutive next to these big rifles. That's what makes these old levers so nice to carry in the field and easy to point. They are small light and very f**kin cool! I mean i am very biased, I love my win94 with a passion that might be verging on unhealthy.
    Last edited by brian; 07-07-2017 at 08:56 AM. Reason: handle

BLR rifles are the Finest levers way smoother then others -very fast to cycle ! They use a Nice fast to change magazine . I have a 358 Win and a 450 Marlin ! Good coverage for any NA Game ! Jmo. RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    Well I'd like to stick with iron sights. I like the old school cowboy style. And I never shoot deer farther than 50 yards never seem to see them any farther.
    Older M99 Savage for the scabbard ..... .300 Savage or .308 Winchester.

Get a lever in a caliber that you can always find shells for. I have a BLR in .243 that I love, taken several good bucks and 1 elk with, one shot kills. A Browning in 30.06 would get you anything you hunt for and the BLR has by far the smoothest action of any lever gun.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

BLR in 308 with 2x7 scope