Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpine tent any users of this one

Re: Alpine tent any users of this one

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonblacktails View Post
    How do you like it? I'm looking at either that one or the tarptent Notch.
    Im really happy with it. Two large vestibules and plenty of room inside. Initially I thought It could sleep two with the nest out but with the trekking poles it would be a weird fit. I wanted a one person anyways but still wanted room for gear etc..it's just over two lbs I believe and I bought 1 spare pole in case I broke a trekking pole on the trip it was only 5 ounces I think
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Hmm would not consider any tent without a floor.
    I do have a sildome for over nite from base camp .
    All my tents are mountain hardware..tested and proven.
    Fir couple reasons I'm not a Hillenbrand fan however I do respect bgblkdg" his opinion and experience.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Check out sixmoondesigns.com and look at the gatewood cape. I carried it on my PCT thru hike for 600 miles. You can also drape it over you and sit through a downpour and have everything covered. It's pure awesome. If you MUST have a floor, they sell an inner net tent to go with it that has a bathtub floor. It's the only shelter I use in the bush solo.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm would not consider any tent without a floor.
    I do have a sildome for over nite from base camp .
    All my tents are mountain hardware..tested and proven.
    Fir couple reasons I'm not a Hillenbrand fan however I do respect bgblkdg" his opinion and experience.
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Care to expand on the reasons you're not a hilleberg fan?
    I'm going to be buying a tent within the next year or so, experienced opinions are valuable!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

^^^Its hard to argue against a Hilleberg, and if you like the floorless option,simply detach the inner tent, this
    will significantly decrease weight while expanding usable space and remain completely waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    what is the appeal in hilleberg tents? They are extremely expensive, not particularly light, and many of them aren't even free standing requiring numerous guide lines.
    They only seem like a good option to me if you are camping in a lot of snow.

Yes, the Saivo is a great tent, but it weighs 10lbs! That's twice the weight of an average high country hunting tent.
    I believe because they are a very well built, and strong tent that can handle extreme weather conditions. Check out some of the wind tests on youtube on their tents and you'll see. Im saving my pennies for one

I love my floorless tent. Only use it for alpine hunts and site selection is important....grass, heather, gravel is good. Weighs just over 1 lb and uses trekking poles to set up. Some rocks along outside edges and gear along inside edges and it is pretty much mosquito proof. Have had it up insome pretty snotty weather rain, sleet, wind. It is about size of a loaf of bread and sleeps 2. Black Diamond Beta Light. So no I wouldnt say that most dont use or like floorless.....
    Last edited by kitnayakwa77; 07-22-2017 at 09:14 PM.

I've used my MSR hubba hubba with just the frame and fly. Would not hesitate to take it for a quick overnighter or for use as an emergency bivvy if stuck out. They seem massive when not constrained by the inner tent and the free standing aspect of it lends itself well for this purpose. Just need to be careful of wetness draining in with no floor.

Also, should mention that my hubba hubba has been flawless over the years. Very happy with its performance and value.

TJ

After alot of reviews and research, my oware pyramid tent is on its way, I went with the 11x11 at 4 pounds with centre pole 2.5 pounds without centre pole, it made sense for this trip with 4 guys going, we also have the tigoat 7.5 so lots of room for all.

Well after lots of wind and rain, at 6000 ft, the Oware tent held strong, best 300 us spent for me