Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpine tent any users of this one

Alpine tent any users of this one

I saw the seek thread, and was wondering if anybody has used the Oware tents, here is the link to there lineup.

http://shop.bivysack.com/Pyramid-and...d-Tarps_c4.htm

any good bad or otherwise information would be great.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alpine tent any users of this one

the general consensus here is that floorless tents kind of suck. When the weather gets really bad ... which is when you need a tent most .... the lack of a floor can be a real problem. Rain/wind blowing in, plus water running along the ground will just soak your things. Plus, anything that is not freestanding is a big pain to set up compared to a freestanding tent that takes 5-7 minutes.

I just don't see the appeal on having a shelter with no floor. Maybe I'm missing something. For all the reasons above. And what about mice. Those things are worse then bears.

Thumbs up Re: Alpine tent any users of this one

I like floor-less and prefer it. I do not have that specific item but use floor-less shelter setups and prefer that. There is more emphasis on picking an appropriate camp site so this is not the best plan for folks who might not be so bush savvy. For others it's an excellent way to go. With the small shelters that are floor-less in particular, it is usually not that hard to find a dry spot for camping, at least not here in the East Kootz! Pretty dry country out this way. Coast range tends to be wet AF no matter what, it's the nature of the beast... Usually a well placed spot and a hot tent rig will enable dryness to occur no matter how wet it gets out there. At least enough so, to curtail the damp chills and dry ones gear out some.

Anyhow, thanks for bringing Oware to my attention, huntfish. I am now considering their wares (Along with SeekOutside) for a future purchase, cheers!
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 07-05-2017 at 07:12 PM.

I have not used an Oware product, but, have many nights in various floorless shelters, some heated by folding stoves. others not.

My first was an original Chouinard Pyramid, bought spring 1987, lots of use until about 2003 and then gave it to a young guy in 2015, still sound, as we moved and I need(ed) to downsize my guns-gear.I have had a Kifaru Paratipi, Six-man and Eight-man tipis and a couple very light one-person silnylon rigs from the old ID in Calgary.

I had the large Kifaru stove, a Four Dog Ti-large and am seriously considering a Seek Outside Cimarron, with a Lite Outdoors 18" stove.....but, am too poor to afford it at present.

I would choose a good floored tent if I could only have ONE shelter, as a "four season" or "expedition" mountain tent is more versatile, better in severe weather and perhaps less costly than many shelters. I would not own a shelter-tipi without a stove fitted to it and there are heaters for even small tents available.

The main issues with the tipi tents are SNOW load and finding space to erect them given the large footprint is often difficult to impossible in BC's terrain. I know that you can "jury rig" shelter from them in poor conditions, but, this is time-consuming and does not make much of a shelter, stove considered.

WHY, spend $$$$ to have some "jury-rigged" shelter when a GOOD mountain tent will function far better and keep you warm and safe?

In tents, my choice would be, first Hilleberg, no comparison, then MSR and /or Mountain Hardwear and nothing else appeals to me. I have a Hilleberg Saivo, a superb tent and the new light Niak, which is going to the Kootenays, with me tomorrow.

HTH, take your time choosing and best of luck with your choice.

what is the appeal in hilleberg tents? They are extremely expensive, not particularly light, and many of them aren't even free standing requiring numerous guide lines.
    They only seem like a good option to me if you are camping in a lot of snow.

Yes, the Saivo is a great tent, but it weighs 10lbs! That's twice the weight of an average high country hunting tent.

I am really busy packing for a Kootenay trip tomorrow, but, my Niak, is under 4 lbs. very roomy and stronger than most tents. I will comment further when I return next week, hopefully with some trout for my lady.

I use a Tarptent Stratospire 1, it has the option to remove the inner nest thus going floorless if I wanted
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I use a Tarptent Stratospire 1, it has the option to remove the inner nest thus going floorless if I wanted
    How do you like it? I'm looking at either that one or the tarptent Notch.

I really like the looks of the 10x10 tipi tent. I have no experience with the exact product but I'm a fan of tarp shelters when packing in. I would rather save the weight and I don't need the security blanket that a tent with a floor provides for some people. The rain and grizzlies will come in if they want to.