Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scope advice

Re: Scope advice

I went with the swaro over the zeiss.I just picked up a z6 , 3 x 18 - 50mm with BT at grouse river on sale there. These guys really know there stuff and It would be worth while to phone them and ask for there opinin.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    z5 is the same glass/quality as the z3, but has the larger magnification range
    then why the hell is it so much more money?

Thanks all for your advice.Well I went to wss today to look at the scope again and ended up getting the Leupold VX6 2-12x42 mm cds it was regular 1,644.99 with a $247 discount so got it for, 1,397 plus tax.Very happy with it, found it easy to look thru for my old eyes.lol.

That, is among the best possible choices you could have made, IMO. Leupold scopes are never a "bad choice" for BC hunting and I have owned and now own dozens of them, as well as several Zeiss, a Swaro and many other scopes since my first in 1965.

Now, get the top end Redding dieset, and load for your "Big Seven".

Keep it simple, leupold vx1, Redfield Revolution but ifmoney is burning a hole in ur pocket then vortex PST or vortex viper.

Choosing a type of scope for a rifle as little to do with the caliber but more so with the game, terrain & conditions it is used in.

For a general hunter I have little use for a scope over 6X, with a 30-06 hits at 500m are quite reliable, with a hard recoiling rifle like a 9.3 backs that down to 400m, both on an 18" steel plate from improvised shooting positions. Keep in mind that, my experience only, shots come at ~150 yards average.

The 6X scope , in Leupold renditions 6x36 and 6x42, have a more generous eye box than similar variables, they are generally more rugged, and are more compact. For longish shots an M1 turret or CDS dial will get you out to the 600 yard line easily and reliabley. That is a long shot in field conditions.

For short range 6X is not a hindrance due to the generous eye box, when adjusted properly just look at the target mount the rifle to shoulder and the target 'magically' appears centered on the reticle.

For dedicated long range, especially if you take up sniper type position overlooking a large open area then a higher magnification scope makes sense, about all i can use is 16X in this condition as this type of activity is done at mid-day and lighting is not a factor.. These are generally mounted on heavier rifles as the hunter is stationary most of the time, using a spotter or bino's to survey the area.

With any type of scope, but especially the higher magnification ones, the employment of an accurate range finder is essential, as are turrets. If these are not included then all that magnification is kind of a waste.

The 6X Leupold's transmit about all the light a human eye can use 7mm exit pupal for the '42 and 6mm for the '36, the older the eye the less exit pupal you can absorb.

As power goes up so does the quality of glass need to be there as a cheap high power scope only exaggerates the flaws in the glass.

The 6X's are a good compromise in that area.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Quote Originally Posted by 2forty View Post
    Thanks all for your advice.Well I went to wss today to look at the scope again and ended up getting the Leupold VX6 2-12x42 mm cds it was regular 1,644.99 with a $247 discount so got it for, 1,397 plus tax.Very happy with it, found it easy to look thru for my old eyes.lol.
    I think 2-12x42 is the ideal scope magnification and objective diameter. And a top of the line Leupold is a very fine choice.

However, it does weigh about 5oz more than the 42mm Swaro Z3. If it was to be for a mountain rifle, that's the only time i would question going for the Vx-6.

Burris veracity 3 -15 with first plane reticle is really good for the price, $950.