Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radios / Walkie Talkies...Suggestions?

Re: Radios / Walkie Talkies...Suggestions?

Could be. I'll check the wattage. It's my understanding that they have the maximum allowable wattage for a hand held radio after that you go to a mobile with a cord/mic. I may be wrong on this but it's what my buddy who Ordered them said. It was 40 bucks for two and they come with a charger and a cool FBI head piece
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

My buddy thinks ours are 5watt
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

I know this is an older thread but I am in the market for some new radios that work reliably up to 5-7 km in the bush. anything new on the market that I should consider?

Get hold of Ray in Pemberton. Good guy to deal with. He will look after you. His email is--- baofengcanada@gmail.com After talking to you he will program a radio that will be a good starting point for your needs.

I just today pulled the plug on a handheld radio . I have looked at the different threads on HBC and asked a few questions of fellas that have an use them.
    I read Baofengs have been good for most that buy them ,but they are made in China . I try to avoid buying Chinese if possible for a few reasons , quite often you can’t help it as so much is made there !

Having said that I ended up buying an Icom handheld made in Japan 5 watt that is the max wattage for a handheld .
    I have had all the RR,s programmed in . Also bought a magnetic whip antenna for the truck roof , gives more range .Also purchased a spare battery , for my budget, it was pricey , hopefully it is quality !
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 10-09-2020 at 10:46 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    how are you guys getting such good range from the Baofengs .... mine cannot go that far. What settings do you have them on?

Edit: it seems your model is 7Watt, compraed to mine at 5Watt. I wonder if that's the only diff.
    Several guys got them at work, most a lucky to get 1k range. Look at Puxing, the 777 is what our camp have been using. 8 to 10k easy. If I go stand on the road in front of my house I can hit the company repeater 60k away
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I've been using the Puxing 777's for about 8 years now with excellent results. They Were getting a little long in the tooth so i picked up a few Baofengs recenley. They can be ordered from offshore, without the Frequency limitations locked into any Vhf radio now sold in North America. 144-148 Mhz is all that is now legally allowed. Forestry resource roads Freq's RR are in the 150-151 MHZ so these newer radios can not be programmed for the RR channels. Prior to 2019 most VHf were usually sold with the ability to run international 136-174 Mhz or could be easily modded to run such. Offshore are not limited and give the full international freq's
    Good explanation here.

https://www.fleetwooddp.com/blogs/ne...-the-radios-go
    Last edited by Stresd; 10-13-2020 at 09:06 AM.

That’s a great link you posted Stresd !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    I've been using the Puxing 777's for about 8 years now with excellent results. They Were getting a little long in the tooth so i picked up a few Baofengs recenley. They can be ordered from offshore, without the Frequency limitations locked into any Vhf radio now sold in North America. 144-148 Mhz is all that is now legally allowed. Forestry resource roads Freq's RR are in the 150-151 MHZ so these newer radios can not be programmed for the RR channels. Prior to 2019 most VHf were usually sold with the ability to run international 136-174 Mhz or could be easily modded to run such. Offshore are not limited and give the full international freq's
    Good explanation here.

https://www.fleetwooddp.com/blogs/ne...-the-radios-go
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Sellis75 View Post
    What do people use/recommend when out in the field? Spending days on atv, need a good radio for communication with hunting partner...ones that need to be solid in the mountains and ridges etc...

Thanks in advance.
    The Baofeng is easily the best bang for your buck. I bought 2 plus the programming cable. Youtube how to program it with the channels you need and bobs your uncle. No regrets with mine and they get great range and excellent battery life assuming you're not talking all the time. Haven't had one die even after a whole day of hunting and still with 3 bars of battery left.

https://baofengradio.ca/collections/...00-520-mhz-uhf

If it's out of stock it's worth the wait.

Doug

During the Olympics they issued Motorola walkie talkies. I drove one of the official cars and the walkie talkie had, Had quite the range. Home base was located near the Molson brewery on Burrard. I could easily talk to base from any location I was at be it the airport or Cyprus mountain. The one area that I recall having communication issues was just south of Boundary st. and Marine drive.