Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: caddisguy trailcams are out !

Re: caddisguy trailcams are out !

A few years ago I had a trail cam taken off a tree from a bear the cam was only 4 feet off the ground I looked for the cam for an hour finally found the cam latter looking
    at the cam pictures I saw pictures of the bear that removed my cam from the tree..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Can you post model of the bushnell cam?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Can you post model of the bushnell cam?
    It's one of the Bushnell Trophy Cam HD series, but I am not certain which one it is.

Unfortunately it is out in the field now so I can not confirm, 100%. I might still have the box at home. I'll check later and if I find it I'll post it up.

Seems like a great camera so far. I really like the sound and the video quality great. I normally stick with cheap cameras, but work gave me this one as 15 anniversary gift along with a pair of binos and other goodies. Pains me to leave something expensive in a tree. I hung the camera in a place where I don't typically hunt, but has deer and not many bears. Might get more adventurous with it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    It's one of the Bushnell Trophy Cam HD series, but I am not certain which one it is.

Unfortunately it is out in the field now so I can not confirm, 100%. I might still have the box at home. I'll check later and if I find it I'll post it up.

Seems like a great camera so far. I really like the sound and the video quality great. I normally stick with cheap cameras, but work gave me this one as 15 anniversary gift along with a pair of binos and other goodies. Pains me to leave something expensive in a tree. I hung the camera in a place where I don't typically hunt, but has deer and not many bears. Might get more adventurous with it this year.
    Cool. Thanks. I'll look it up. Youre right. Great quality.

Do you deploy cams in that one area only or you have some other spots? Seems like snow hinders your access up there a bit too early in the season which is a bummer!

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Cool. Thanks. I'll look it up. Youre right. Great quality.

Do you deploy cams in that one area only or you have some other spots? Seems like snow hinders your access up there a bit too early in the season which is a bummer!
    I think this was the first time snow was much of an issue. I opted not to hike up that little knob one weekend when there was a foot of snow and there were a lot of tracks lower down, but a week later it was better... the main problem was the week after that warm weather and rain washed out the road big time. I usually don't get shut down until close to season end if at all.

I know based on the cam footage that it is a good early season spot, but I mostly just see does after bow season. The bucks might not be far off, but I have yet to figure out where they go. I'll be moving the cams around a bit and scouting around to try and figure it out. For what it's worth I have only found 1 shed in the area I have been obsessed with. Been pounding one half of that little mountain... probably time to try the other. Maybe they move to the north or west facing side. Definitely some bucks in the valley bottom timber too but so thick it's even tougher unless you are super lucky.

I have another spot about 15km further down the same valley. It's about 5km hike from there and mostly flat old growth. Not too bad just time consuming and no way to set up a base camp close by.

I should probably spend more time looking for other spots and even different valleys, but I invested so many years of failure into this one spot, I am obsessed with "making it happen"... a little insane I know

Blacktail sheds are a needle in the haystack. I know proguide66 does quite well in his BT spots for sheds, but that's pretty damn rare!. But gotta keep letting the cams do their thing to find where the bucks go. Could lead you to a gold mine of sheds both old and new!

I have a couple of areas on the radar that are also about 5km in, but when I think of the terrain and then think 5km, I have yet to convince myself to do it .... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I think this was the first time snow was much of an issue. I opted not to hike up that little knob one weekend when there was a foot of snow and there were a lot of tracks lower down, but a week later it was better... the main problem was the week after that warm weather and rain washed out the road big time. I usually don't get shut down until close to season end if at all.

I know based on the cam footage that it is a good early season spot, but I mostly just see does after bow season. The bucks might not be far off, but I have yet to figure out where they go. I'll be moving the cams around a bit and scouting around to try and figure it out. For what it's worth I have only found 1 shed in the area I have been obsessed with. Been pounding one half of that little mountain... probably time to try the other. Maybe they move to the north or west facing side. Definitely some bucks in the valley bottom timber too but so thick it's even tougher unless you are super lucky.

I have another spot about 15km further down the same valley. It's about 5km hike from there and mostly flat old growth. Not too bad just time consuming and no way to set up a base camp close by.

I should probably spend more time looking for other spots and even different valleys, but I invested so many years of failure into this one spot, I am obsessed with "making it happen"... a little insane I know
    Well I think many of us, me for sure, lean too much the other way. The urge to scout the other side, the next valley, the next time zone! win out too much. Much better to learn an area A to Z I think. But after all a big part of it is just entertainment and enjoyment whether we've got the wander lust or the laser focus as long as its fun its all good
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Some more 2017 trailcam footage trickling in. We picked up this camera on June 10th. It has been soaking since September 2017 and it filmed until May 2018. It filmed a nice bear, a pine marten (I think?) and one insanely cranky doe that likes kicking her fawn around.

There will probably be some more 2017 footage coming at some point. I definitely have one more cam to retrieve that is probably still filming, as well as one other cam I am having trouble finding. I can't remember exactly where I put it. I looked for it once but no dice... might give it another try when I have the time an energy.

I am only going to run 1 or 2 cams this year in a new spot rather than 7 or 8 of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB4Cb7sVMdI

Last edited by caddisguy; 06-16-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Good life on those camera batteries, must not be Kirkland alkaline
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Good life on those camera batteries, must not be Kirkland alkaline
    I'll second that. The AA batteries were alkaline, but either duracell or energizer. It filmed around 600 videos in that time frame, 30 seconds each. It was over 5GB of data.