Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elk burger

Re: Elk burger

Seems like the best way is to add no fat and to trim the fat off the meat then grind for burger ...I.ve had excellent burger before but I think its how much game fat they leave in...This last fall I was convinced to add beef fat to my burger and it seems to have proven the wrong choice..Maybe the beef wasn't grained so it was free range ...They can be very beefy....gamey...Think I'll just go with extra lean and have my rib meat set aside for sausage or pepperoni..The last elk was a cow and shouldn't of been gamey ..but the bulls I've killed were less gamey...Thanks for the input !...Dennis

Always get your meat cut boneless, and specify that you don't want a bandsaw used at all. This will make all your cuts much more enjoyable in the long run.
    The marrow from the bones is mixed with your meat that is then ground into burger, and it turns over time in the freezer. Boneless meat always lasts longer.
    I add 5% beef fat just to give a little lube to the burger - doesn't taint it at all. I recall it wasn't recommended to add pork fat, forget where/why.

Good point on the bandsaw cutting..All my cuts are boneless but will ask if they use a bandsaw ...

I never add additional fat to any of my game, couldnt imagine why you would. I wrap my ground in bag, squeeze all the air out and then wrap in butcher paper, never noticed a reduction in quality a year down the road. I trim as much as I can, and really make an effort to remove all fat...IMO that is the gamely taste.
    KCCO

I do pretty much the same thing as Rhyno mentions above - Sana freezer paper. I haven't had any ground meat stick around long enough to notice much by way of the longevity of the package.

I am looking onto a grinder that has an engine and perhaps a vacuum sealer for future use.

With last season's elk, I did not have any fat added to the ground. This way I can control the fat content in various recipes. For meat used in tacos, meat sauce, etc., I do not add fat. For sausage and such I'll add in some pork fat when I'm prepping the sausage. Leaves your options open.
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

Yes I agree you have to add fat to sausage ...Too dry otherwise...Will not be adding any fat to my burger in the future...Maybe when cooking and then some oil ...Dennis

Add some beef fat to it. Family says is the best BBQ burgers ever!!
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

That's what I added last fall to my cow elk...Don't know if the beef fat was from grained beef or free range beef...Seemed a bit gamey ..The butcher I went to did a fantastic job of cutting and wrapping ...No problems at all ..Best cut job I've ever had ..Just the burger..I asked for lean and maybe there was too much elk fat left in it..Think I'm going to ask for extra lean and have my meat between the ribs bagged separate for sausage ...I know game has a different taste than beef but the proof of a good animal is in the burger ...I love burger ..The steaks and roasts are top notch ...So lots of ideas coming forth and hope I can solve the " Burger Issue "...Dennis

J-F is offline Thanks for generous GOS!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Never add disgusting beef or pork fat to your organic game burger.

Beef and pork fat goes rancid in 3 or 4 months, which makes your game burger taste like crap if you grind it in.

If you insist on adding that vile stuff, mix fresh pork burger with your game burger at the time of cooking.
    This resumes exactly what I think, and what we do... with deer so far. Elk will come next, I hope.