Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elk burger

Elk burger

Just a few questions regarding elk burger .....Do you use the meat between the ribs for burger ?...Also do you just have extra lean burger ...Lean burger ?...Or do you add fat ...Beef or pork ?..Had some burger that had beef fat added to last years cow elk and find it very gamey ...I clean my animals promptly and skin and clean them spotless but not having luck with the burger...Need some one with a simple answer to fix my dilemma...Also does your burger keep for a year without turning strong ?....Dennis

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk burger

I add 10% pork fat to game meat u can add more figure out what u like, go to a butcher and be sure to get somewhat fresh pork fat can taste off if it's old. And when u wrap it double wrap it in Saran Wrap then butcher paper if u want to store it for a while.

Never add disgusting beef or pork fat to your organic game burger.

Beef and pork fat goes rancid in 3 or 4 months, which makes your game burger taste like crap if you grind it in.

If you insist on adding that vile stuff, mix fresh pork burger with your game burger at the time of cooking.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

I added the highest quality bacon I could get (10%). I made sure the bacon was the freshest I could get it and not had any issues with it going rancid. The elk itself was delicious and only needed a little fat to keep it juicy, adding bacon seemed more appealing than straight pork fat.

I never add extra fat to ground venison. Don't over cook
    it and there is no need for the extra fat. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubertuber View Post
    I never add extra fat to ground venison. Don't over cook
    it and there is no need for the extra fat. IMO.
    I agree. I used to have pork fat added but after going to just lean straight ground game meat, I'll never add fat in again. Just be mindful oh your cooking time because it is very easy to over cook without that fat in it.

Some animals are just strong. Over the years I have had really good elk, and some that were very strong. I have never added fat to burger, especially since burger ends up in some kind of sauce a lot of the times. The double wrap suggestion for storing meat for more than a year works, but I have not had meat become stronger tasting the longer it is in the freezer. As far as using meat between the ribs, there is no reason not to. The suggestion I have is that you shouldn't butcher an elk the same as a beef. If it is white, I make an effort to remove it. This includes tendon, grissle, fat, etc. You don't need to get it all, but the more that comes out, the better it tastes IMO. With beef, all this white stuff gets thrown in with the hamburger, so it is natural for most butchers to do the same with game animals.
    That being said, my little girl made me have deer ribs from her deer last fall. We just cut them out and put them in the oven, fat on. Although they were greasy, they tasted very mild. That was fresh though, I don't know how good they would have tasted after being in the freezer for a while. Good luck... and for the strong stuff in the freezer, spicy chili can hide a lot.......

buy a fresh pork shoulder and grind in 15 to 25% . if you use the meat between the ribs you must make sure the cavity of the animal is spotless . Dried blood ,turds etc can taint your berger

I agree.

I add no fat to elk, moose or deer burger. I want it to taste like elk, moose or deer.

Regarding ribs, I cut them with a meat saw into racks of ribs and wrap and freeze 'em to roast up later.

I love racks of ribs, from black bear too. Made to be married with garlic, onion and (optional) tomato sauce.

They don't change in the freezer; they keep well in the bottom of a good freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    I agree. I used to have pork fat added but after going to just lean straight ground game meat, I'll never add fat in again. Just be mindful oh your cooking time because it is very easy to over cook without that fat in it.
    Last edited by MichelD; 07-02-2017 at 11:15 AM.

It has been my experience that game meat will last a lot longer in your freezer if there is no pork fat added. You can add it or mix it with pork or beef later. The meat between the ribs can have a more gamey taste than the other meat. I reserve rib meat for pepperoni and such. Pork or beef fat is not "vile" to me and I readily add it to my sausage with excellent results.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"