Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: camp chairs when packing in

Re: camp chairs when packing in

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    ^ you seriously pack a lawn chair in with you?

What else do you bring?
    Coke to go with the whiskey when I'm sitting in my chair after supper.
    Of course the horses do all the packing so it would be disengenous for me to say I pack anything.

REI flex lite chair. wouldn't go back packing without it

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    I pack along a thermarest z seat, and lean back on my pack.
    ^^^this here^^^

ya can't lean on your pack when you're in camp and the damn pack is empty, guys .....

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcar View Post
    I am an antsy guy at the end of the day. I am far too excited about the day that just past and the next day upcoming. I also tend to relax and sleep poorly regardless of how tired I am.

I am trying a new pad this year. I use a Thermarest Neo Xtherm which is nice. I am trying an Exped Downmat UL7. About a 5oz penalty. R rating is similar. It a rectangle instead of the mummy shape.

Which leads to the OP's question...about camp chairs.

I had read good things about the lightweight collapsible chairs from Helionox. But at 2lbs plus that was never happening. They have come up with a 1lb version which currently is a REI exclusive.

https://www.rei.com/product/109587/helinox-chair-zero

I have read that some really like them not only for the end of the day in camp but also for glassing from a tripod.

I originally tried the Thermarest option you presented.

Those Thermarest things are a pain in the ass and nowhere near as comfortable as you'd think. I used one on a single trip and returned it. Was too much effort for what you ended up with.

So I grabbed one of the REI Helionox chairs and so far I like it. It certainly is no lazy boy...or even a lawn chair.

But it is nice to be up off the ground both glassing and in camp. Using either Seek Outside LBO or the Redcliff the headroom is adequate. Naturally in my Hilleberg that wouldn't be possible.

I have to say so far so good. In the end, my goal is better recovery and rest versus comfort. Although the comfort is what I am hoping the chair will get me there.

Funny enough I found myself still sitting on the ground from time to time in camp. There is something about being on the ground and connected to nature or whatever we want to call it. Wasn't even on my pad, just on the ground.

Still using while glassing, yet. Still, use it for all my glassing. Got it late last season, so six days worth.

So the jury is still out. Adding one pound to the pack isn't the end of the world. But it is not insignificant so it is going to have to prove its worth before it is a bring an every time item.

As mentioned by others and above there is something about sitting on the ground. Something we certainly don't do enough in our lives.
    interesting. Thanks! Disappointing to hear that the thermarest one didn't work. Looked like a super light-weight option at only maybe 1-2oz for the webbing.

yeah, leaning on the backpack works, as others have mentioned, but only on the pack in and out ..... the rest of the time my pack is too empty to lean on to.

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    I use one of those little foam gardening pads that they sell for kneeling on. Cut in half it is about 12"x9" and is next to next to nothing in weight. attaches easily to outside of pack. Keeps ass nice and warm when sitting in snow and glassing
    THIS!!
    I don't go hunting for big game without it.
    Semper in excretum altum

Helinox Ground chair, 1.4 lbs.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Just picked up a Helinox beach chair - weighs a bit more than the ground chair but I like to ability to lean back and it works great while glassing. got it at MEC.

Helinox 25% off at WSS right now

For myself, a plastic pack box has been the roost for many trips.
    If I ever do a backpack trip, I'll have the funniest looking rig with a box lashed to a freighter frame.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Hammock for me. Super comfy and can sit or lay back. If I have to sit by a fire a stump will do for a bit.
    I'm going to the dogs.
    Airy Mtn. Airedales