Thread: Mainland Deer hunting and cabin rentals ?

Mainland Deer hunting and cabin rentals ?

Looking to try hunting the mainland for the first time this year. I've been hunting for about 6-7 years now but never off the Island. My father wasn't a hunter and I had never hunted before taking the CORE 7 years ago. I've done well on the Island and was even lucky enough to get an Elk draw, but I don't have many friends that hunt and the ones that do never leave the island. My son turns 10 this year and now that I will have a hunting partner I'm looking to venture to the mainland to hunt deer. I have done many searches and the more I search the more confused and discouraged I get on where I should even start. I'm not yet setup for a proper hunting camp and the fact that it will just be me and my son I'm pretty much limited to a cabin. I also do not own a quad at this time, but my son and I are not afraid to get out of the truck and hike. I've seen a lot of recommendations for Tunkwa Lake Resort but everyone seems to say it's somewhat of a war zone once the season opens. I'm really nervous about hunting an area that has a lot of pressure as my sons safety is my primary concern.

Anyway what I'm asking for is some help on where my son and I might start to learn some mainland areas to hunt deer with some sort of a hunter friendly cabin rentals/resort nearby...possibly some areas that have good youth hunt opportunities as well, but without a dangerous amount of hunting pressure. I have no specific areas in mind as I have never been and don't know anyone who has.

Please feel free to PM me if you rather....Like I said my only hunting partner is my son so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Islander30; 06-29-2017 at 08:48 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mainland Deer hunting and cabin rentals ?

I got a couple pm's so far, so thanks. I'm going to make a list of the suggestions I get and will be checking them out in person this summer. I'm open to pretty much anywhere in the province so any help/suggestions is much appreciated.

Last edited by Islander30; 06-29-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks again guys, Ive had a couple pm's asking if I'm looking for a cabin specifically ? The answer is no I'm not, any kind of hunter friendly accommodation, lodge, motel is fine I just don't to want to hang a deer in a parking lot and have someone call the cops...lol ! All suggestion are great, just looking for somewhere where I can stay with my son and hunt deer that is not too insanely pressured to the point of being unnerving, but of course still has good numbers of deer around...mule deer, white tail, or both, I don't really care.

Thanks,
    Brent.

Last edited by Islander30; 06-30-2017 at 07:17 AM.

white lake resort on loon lake is worth a look, as is bclakefronts a sponsor of this site.
    also most people just set up a tent and use it as basecamp. a 3 man tent around 300$ would be where I would start. also a good frame pack to move your bounty.

nothing wrong with going cabin motel but a tent sets you up in prime location away from pressure.
    almost every lake in the interior off a dirt road will have rustic camping and possibly a meat pole. or carry camp on your back and set up and a nice ridge with lots too glass.
    for pressure look for areas with steep terrain and blocked and gated roads. boot leather is the best mode of transportation.
    Nothin better then the great outdoors!

If you are ok with the drive, check out region 4. Great spot for a young hunter after his/her first deer. Unlike the Island, you'll see tons of game any given day to keep them interested. You are allowed 2 whitetail deer each, one may be a buck.The whitetail doe season opens 10 Oct. 4pt Mule deer bucks are open, as are 6pt bull elk, are open as well. Tons of grouse and bunnies as well to add to the fun.

If you like hunting whitetail deer you may want to check out 8-14 up in the christian valley. The huskey in Rock creek rents rooms and there are many cabins for rent on the way to up the 58 kilometer mark. Lots of mulies as well but 4 point and bigger bucks only

tried to send a PM but you've exceeded your quota, let me know when you clear enough space and ill try resending
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom