Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vortex spotting scopes

Re: Vortex spotting scopes

Good call on going with the vortex. All of the optics I have for my family is vortex. That's 7 scopes, 3 binos, and a spotter. All are Viper or Razor. I agree with what all above have said. Buy the best that you can afford. If your not using it to help ID animals at a very long range, the Viper will work more than fine. If there is a possibility that you will be trying to ID animals at a few km, get the Razor. Another thing to take into consideration is whether or not you will be packing the spotter on a hike where space and weight is an issue. The Razor is definitely a more compact unit. Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    cant beat the razor. I have 65mm one and I can see 7mm holes at 300yards no problem.

With this spotter I can set up a whole bunch of targets when i first get there and only walk down to them when i'm ready to pack up and go home.
    well you can, Im sure my swaro will out preform that
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

my razor scope is one of my favorite purchases.

tip when buying vortex, always try and buy used. if anything is wrong with it, send it in for free warranty and its as good as new again

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

My older brother has both the Viper HD and the Raxor HD 65mm versions, glass is better in the Razor but more so the Functions are much better and it's more compact, if you can afford it get the Razor.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    well you can, Im sure my swaro will out preform that

meh ... marginal improvement in quality is not worth the inability to get a completely new scope when/if it breaks, nor is it worth the extra $2k .... to me.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    meh ... marginal improvement in quality is not worth the inability to get a completely new scope when/if it breaks, nor is it worth the extra $2k .... to me.
    You might say that on a deer hunt you drove to in area 3 from the LML but when your on a 5-10 thousand dollar fly in hunt of a lifetime I may be inclined to go with a better quality scope......just sayin

Its the quality on the inside that you don't see that makes the difference, even if Vortex has a great warranty it won't do u any good up a mountain on a flying or horseback hunt days from anywhere !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    You might say that on a deer hunt you drove to in area 3 from the LML but when your on a 5-10 thousand dollar fly in hunt of a lifetime I may be inclined to go with a better quality scope......just sayin

Its the quality on the inside that you don't see that makes the difference, even if Vortex has a great warranty it won't do u any good up a mountain on a flying or horseback hunt days from anywhere !
    if I could afford a 5-10k hunt, the price of a spotting scope isn't even a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    if I could afford a 5-10k hunt, the price of a spotting scope isn't even a concern.
    You sure about that? Because the Swaro spotter is going to run you 30% of that 10k hunt .... or 60% of that 5k hunt. That's a pretty significant portion to not be a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post

so how many broken razor spotters have you heard about then? I can't recall the last time i heard of one.

But I can recall the last time i read about people venting about the frustrating experience dealing with swaro/zeiss warranty departments.

I had a razor 85 and now have a swaro 80.
    razor was heavier but quality was the same from 20-50 power.
    at 50-60 power tho the swaro was a bit better and low light was brighter but not by much.

keep in mind a good tripod is important.