Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good backpack

Re: Good backpack

Looked at several packs originally.
    Started with a mystery ranch crew cab. Was a solid and comfortable pack frame and well constructed bag, but decided I didn't care for the bag layout.
    picked up a Kifaru Bikini frame and a timberline 2 from here ,lighter Weight . And a better bag for what I do.Also have a Highcamp bag as well. I'm quite happy with it.
    Kifaru doesn't make the bikini frame anymore but if your interested in seeing it I'm in Duncan.

What works for some doesn't necessarily work for the next guy.
    My opinion is that you need to look at as much as possible and decide what layouts and features appeal to you. Handle as many as you can .Decide on a budget and go from there.

I started out with a badlands pack, a model that is now the summit. Saw it for sale at a store, threw it on my back, thought good enough for me. BIG mistake. Got it home, put weight in it, and wished I had never bought it. Just didn't fit me right. Put up with it for a few years, but finally broke down and bought a Kifaru duplex with an EMR2 bag. Can't believe the difference. Changes everything for the better. So I say all that to say make sure the pack fits you right, it makes all the difference in the world.
    If I was to buy another pack today, there are 3 brands I'd look at. Kifaru, obviously. MR, a buddy of mine just got a marshall, and loves it. And a Wilderness Wanderer, made in Kamloops I believe. Another buddy has the WW, huge pack that you can easily add or remove pockets and accessories.

my friend is a sheep hunting lunatic and swears by a pack company called Frontier gear, sold at Barneys Chalet. expensive, I think about $1000, but they are known by sheep hunters as unquestionably the best. they are only made in Alaska at a mom and pop shop. when my friend ordered one, they gave him a phony receipt so he didn't have to pay very much duty

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I have MR Nice frame and a 5500 bag, a Stone Glacier X-curve frame with a Sky talus 6900 bag and a Kuiu frame with all their bags, in order of comfort for me MR Nice is the most comfortable but it's also the heaviest at 8lbs empty,
    then the Stone Glacier X-curve is close and then the Kuiu, I'm a stocky sort and I find the Kuiu frame just doesn't fit me all though their 5200-7200 series bags have the nicest layout of all.

my older brother is a skinny sort and he loves the Kuiu frame and 7200 bag, he's been wearing it while exercising and says it's awesome.....!
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 06-30-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by tikkahunter View Post
    I started out with a badlands pack, a model that is now the summit. Saw it for sale at a store, threw it on my back, thought good enough for me. BIG mistake. Got it home, put weight in it, and wished I had never bought it. Just didn't fit me right. Put up with it for a few years, but finally broke down and bought a Kifaru duplex with an EMR2 bag. Can't believe the difference. Changes everything for the better. So I say all that to say make sure the pack fits you right, it makes all the difference in the world.
    If I was to buy another pack today, there are 3 brands I'd look at. Kifaru, obviously. MR, a buddy of mine just got a marshall, and loves it. And a Wilderness Wanderer, made in Kamloops I believe. Another buddy has the WW, huge pack that you can easily add or remove pockets and accessories.

I have an older model Wilderness Wanderer that I picked up from another HBC member here for $50! You can find them cheap every now and then, mine is used but the frame is in perfect condition and the straps feel almost new. The bag is great too, just not waterproof.

Great packs, especially if your looking for something big and with an external frame.

The new SO "Brooks" is now out and a video can be seen on the Rokslide Forum.........MOST impressive, best I have seen yet.

My Icon Pro 7200 has been nice to me so far but it does feel like it's on the cheaper side.

Contact Tod Bartell as Omenica carries MR packs. They are one of the HBC sponsors.

Great service!

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Tried calling SO for a couple of days last week. Kept getting the machine.

Ended up calling SG and they picked up the phone immediately and were helpful at answering questions. I ended up ordering from them.

I was really interested in the SO bags, but in thinking about them, the side pockets aren't waterproof... So you'd need a cover of you wanted the contents in them dry. I didn't like how the SO Brooks doesn't have the load shelf.

reviving a old thread here.......wondering about a few packs the Stone Glacier sky 7400, and the Seek Outside brooks 7400 or SO Broadwing 7000.
    Im a bit taller and have slightly wider shoulders at 6 3 and 265lbs......another option is the Kuiu ultra 6000.

For the majority the frames are carbon fiber, with the exception of the titanium in the Stone glacier, they all seem pretty solid. I am just wondering which would be maybe more comfortable for me, or have the ability to adjust better to my frame.

As for the bags themselves, I would like to avoid using a rain bag over top. But in being new to this field of bags, Im wondering if these bags are mostly waterproof, with the exception of torrential down pour, which may cause the zippers to weep. But looking for feed back.

Hip belts, as these are a major load bearing item, the Kuiu has a double buckle system for separate adjustablitiy, some have shaped waste belts.....but again looking for opinions on how each fit. Im a 38-40 inch pant.

Durability - IM curious about the lightweight aspect vs durability of fabric. I dont necessarly need the lightest bag in the world, a few ounces or a pound more wont kill me, as I could probably loose another 15lbs off the meat sack gut i have.

The main use of this bag will be getting a few kilometers in for a a night or 2 overnight off the beaten path and hopefully packing out a deer or parts of an elk, im really not planning on a light weight sheep hunt anytime soon......but im not ruling it out either.

thanks for any feedback, I know theres a few guys out there with a tiny bit of experience out there.

Cheers guys