Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good backpack

Good backpack

I'm goin on a 10 day goat hunt and want to buy a decent pack, I had my eye on a mystery ranch Marshall at grouse river but looked today and they no longer have any mystery ranch packs online. I would like to buy within Canada so no duties, what pack and where would you guys recommend? I really like the features of the mystery ranch system....

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Good backpack

Any pack that has the capacity you need and fits you well will work best, hunting specific packs tend to cost more.
    Mr packs are very nice, they are bombproof but tend to be on the heavy side.
    I have a mr nice 6500 and love it except for the fact how heavy the pack is empty.
    My father in law hunts with a bright red pack he bought at an outdoor store and he manages to kill deer every year while wearing it...

I hunted goats a lot of years with the cabelas packs, not the comfiest, but they got me out there. If you see yourself doing a lot of packing in the future, I would be looking at buy once cry once, and go with one of the top few, since I switched to a kifaru, I'd never shoulder anything else.

If, you are serious about mountain hunting and can/will spend some coin, there is now one pack maker whom I recommend above all others.

This is Seekoutside, of Colorado, USA. Kevin, the main guy worked for Kifaru for some years and his packs are simple, light, very sturdy and fit like nothing else I have tried in 61 years carrying many packs.

They have a new, large pack coming out now, called, "The Brooks", IIRC. and it is ideal for what you want. I have two of their packs now, a Multicam Divide and a new model Exposure and NOTHING has worked for me like these.

I am working on a total re-do of my mountain gear now and getting these packs with all gear for solo hunts down to about 2/5 of the weight of my old MR-Bozeman, Kifaru and many other highend packs and my back is not as sore with these.

Google them, go on their site and forum and check them out. I probably will not buy the new large pack as I am beyond the days of long, BP mountain hunts, but, I can afford whatever I want and this is my choice, hands down.

Like stated above if your planning on doing a lot of mountain hunting it's best to pay the big bucks for a pack but I understand sometimes the cards just don't fall that way. If your interested in will have a tatonka frame and pack for sale in the next couple weeks. I bought it for my first goat hunt and it worked well. 75 lbs going in and about 130 coming out.
    Have used it for packing out deer and a 53" bull moose as well. For the price point they are great packs. However my new kifaru fulcrum is on the way and I won't need it anymore.
    It's the new tatonka 80 liter bag with a pocketed lid, 2 side pouches, bottom zipper pocket and front pocket that detaches with shoulder straps into a mini aproach/day pack.
    I'd take 275 for the whole rig
    Pm if interested
    Last edited by untilthelastbeat; 06-29-2017 at 04:13 PM.

I've got a bull-pac, works well for me. Pricey, but strong and it doubles as a pack board.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I just saw that backcountry in ft st john has mystery ranch packs. I think the marshall was $775. Good lookin pack. They ship.

I'm on the island a little south of you. if you'd like to try on a Eberlestock Battleship or Mainframe let me know I have both we can load it full of gear and go for a walk/hike if you like. PM if your interested

I was sitting down to ask a similar question, but I'm curious about entry-level external frame packs. I'm mostly interested in short hike in camping and packing game out from behind gates and off road. I don't have a lot to spend so I'm thinking used. I see badlands ox packs come up once in a while are they all right? I'm thinking cabela's alaskan too, but they recently re-designed and upped the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotstepper View Post
    I was sitting down to ask a similar question, but I'm curious about entry-level external frame packs. I'm mostly interested in short hike in camping and packing game out from behind gates and off road. I don't have a lot to spend so I'm thinking used. I see badlands ox packs come up once in a while are they all right? I'm thinking cabela's alaskan too, but they recently re-designed and upped the price.
    I think you would be just fine with a badlandx OX if you can get a good deal on a used one. They are a bit heavier than the top of the line packs out there, but they should work fine for hauling loads in and out of the back country.

People often forget, the best packs in the 60s were worse than the lower end packs of today ..... and people still got sh*t done.