Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Healing Sciatica Pain

Re: Healing Sciatica Pain

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Get your back X-Ray'd ..... CT-Scan or MRI. Do this before any chiropractor 'adjustments'.
    Core strength and being hydrated are important.
    If you're an older person, you're healing time may be longer.
    Don't let your body pain work on your head .....
    ^^^this.
    I have a birth defect I never new about until it all went south.....
    Tried much of what everyone has said here (hasn't helped me.....)
    Find out what's going on 1st. (core strengthening is always a good thing)
    As for stretching/Chiro....I'd wait til you know what your situation is 1st.
    Chiro can help, Stretching can help, especially if the pain is due to just tight muscles.
    IMS or dry needling if it is tight muscles....I would do that before a Chiro.
    Actually, if you are really tight, massage and IMS treatments are advisable "before" doing Chiro.
    Inversion table helps a lot of people as well....but go slow at 1st.....really...go slow.
    Active release is something I am not sure I have tried....but if others have found help...then it is always worth trying.
    (I know I will be asking around now)
    Walking, not sitting for sure.
    Hydration is great advice as well.
    If all people knew what nerve pain can feel like, they would all be taking steps it keep a strong core.

Hope you get better soon, and that it doesn't last forever.....it sucks when you can't stand due to back/nerve pain.

Dr. Ho.. As seen on TV..
    Dana says:"That isn't me braggin', that is just me stating a fact."

I tired it all when my sciatica was at its worst the only thing that truly helped me was acupuncture. Took about 6 treatments before it was gone. Actually since doing that I have not had a recurrence of sciatica (2 yrs). I would recommend it for anyone, and dont worry about the needles, I had the best naps ever while the needles were in and I was in a quiet room laying down.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

I also suffered from sciatia. Was horrible and it took a couple years to finally sort out the treatment that worked for me. I have a very particular stretch that works wonders, but if I don't do it properly it hurts like a *******. My recommendation is let the medical professionals determine the best way to treat your condition. Too easy to cause yourself more pain or aggravate the condition by grasping at straws and trying a treatment that worked for another.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 06-28-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Walking, core exercises and traction or an inversion table were the only things that got me through the day. Even after six months of chiro and physio 3-4 times a week I needed surgery to fix my herniated disc. If it's bad enough that it affects you daily I'd pay to have a CT scan done and skip the long wait. I think it's between $800-$1000 to get done privately but I'd say worth it to know exactly what you're dealing with. Try to keep in mind that everyone's injuries are different and what worked for one person might not for another, but as long as it's not doing damage it doesn't hurt to try. And try to take it easy as much of a pain as that can be to do.

Last edited by ForealBoreal; 01-02-2022 at 01:20 PM.

Oh yeah I know that pain well!... L4 disk. Absolute agony for a month in bed.. lots of pain meds for 5+ years I was super careful with my back. Its been 8 years now and I can say I'm about 90/95% on a good day, I get a reminder once in a while if I do something stupid, but for the most part I'm pretty much as good as I'm gonna get. Dr. said surgery was a last resort for my case and that if I was careful it would heal up on its own. I wish you well and hope you heel as I did. I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone!

Pineapple juice with ginger and flax seeds. One month of consumption can reduce the pain.
    "There are two sides to every story, don't be so quick to judge!"

Quote Originally Posted by KingBuckHunter View Post
    Thank you all for your input, my faith in others' genuiness and kindness to help people out is temporarily restored.
    Try not to lose hope. Its a long road... When I did mine about 8 years ago it was extremely painful for about 3-4 months before it started to get better.

Core strength, stretching (with proper form - very important) and mobility will really help. Back extension are your best friend (from a prone position, pushing up gently with hips still on the ground) will help push that disc back into place.

It will take some time, but slowly it will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Go see a chiro who has ART training (active release therapy).

Hurts like hell, but it's worth it.

And stretch those hamstrings.
    Yup! It hurts so good. The release is amazing. You will learn how to apply pressure to those points yourself with such high tech tools as soft balls, rolling pins etc. If your chiro is just a 10 min appt. back cracker, find somebody else.

Exercise helps to keep those joints fluid. I do some light trail running and that keeps things moving. Yoga classes help as long as you can keep your eyes from popping out of their sockets.(unless you go to old lady yoga)

I know everyone is looking for the magic pill for an easy fix, but really that's pretty much a waste of time for lazy people.