Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Goat Behaviour

Question Mountain Goat Behaviour

Hi all,

I got an LEH tag for mountain goat and I was wondering if some of the more experience goat hunters could share some of their knowledge on mountain goat behaviour.

I have looked for info online and although there is lots of info for identification and habitat, however I did not find much about migration habits or territorial behaviour. Other than billies hang out on their own until the rut and the goats prefer cliffs areas as snow covers meadows.

What I would like to know is how far goats travel between summer and late fall. Would goats come down the mountain range, cross a valley to get to another range, or would they never move to another mountain range?

I'm planning a trip in Sept 1 to scout/hunt the area and if we can find some group of nannies and no bills I am planning to come back again to the same area in late September. If no luck at all, should I move to another mountain in October and assume that mountain has no goat?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mountain Goat Behaviour

In short, I've noticed seasons make a huge difference

In august they'll be out feeding first light and disappear before the heat hits. Then they'll hide somewhere cool during the day and back out in the evening.

September I found them to be up high but more active and moving from one spot to another.

October they're all over the map gearing up for thr rut. Then it's go time

Hmm not really totally knowledgable in all your questions..however
    I have seen goats at the tops of the mountains..and watch the same goats drop 4/5 elevation for whatever reason..Kwatna, Cariboo mts, boss deception areas..

I also have watched the same goats travel an entire valley..Ghost lake area..

Kind of difficult to assume when I have seen goats accross a valley. .did they cross? Or is it a similar group of goats.?
    Same up north seen some cranker high up on the one side of the valley..next day seen remarkable similar Billy accross the valley..same Billy? Don't know...they all look similar. .
    In Bella Coola seen the goats waaaaaay up top..only to see similar group literally on Bella Coola hwy 24 hrs later..48 hrs later seen billies on south side? Same goats? Pretty similar grouping..non see there in the week previous. .
    That's what I do know..
    Good luck
    Steven

In my limited experience hunting goats. I found them way up high in early Sept and much lower come Nov. As for how far they range. Well I was into one group for 3 weekends that didn't leave the same face of rock...but I must have been lucky.

Read 'A Beast the Color of Winter' by Douglas H Chadwick. It's a must read IMO for any goat hunter and will answer all your questions plus more.

I just put a hold on the library book. Thanks for the info!

I would strongly second reading "Beast of the color winter". breaks down everything you will ever want to know and more

Goats seem to have limited range. In early season the herds (nannies and kids) are hanging out high on ridges and moving around a limited area, I found. Last year I never found a shootable billy but I focused on one area only where I had seen a big billy the year before. Every time I went up I found the herd or a few animals of that herd along the same ridge within a distance of 3-4K. Later in the season when the snow hits they move to their wintering habitat which is usually lower and south facing.
    In hot weather I have seen them bedded down during the day in full sun or in the shade or hiding in brush. I could not come up with a pattern... Look at Google Earth for your zone, get up high and glass all day. You will probably find some. If it is a larger group, probably no billies. If you spot single goats or 2-3 together there might be a billy.

Quote Originally Posted by khoffnbud View Post
    Read 'A Beast the Color of Winter' by Douglas H Chadwick. It's a must read IMO for any goat hunter and will answer all your questions plus more.
    I would third this book. Must read for going about goats. It's an easy read to which is nice. Chapter here and chapter there. Great detail on behaviours and patterns for goats and the differences in behaviour for different types of regions.

Also read "Hunt High" Duncan Gilchrist