Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home Made Meat Cooler

Re: Home Made Meat Cooler

I know it's been said before but get a coating on that OSB sooner rather than later... MOLD MAGNET!!

Even a coat or three of shellac primer would be good, i'd hate to see all that awesome work have to get redone before you get a chance to use it properly. Once you fire up the compressor the humidity will spike in there and you will develop problems quick, also when the board gets damp it will swell and lose the bond between the leaves.

the glue on the OSB can actually be food for the mold fyi...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Thanks for the mold concerns about the OSB. I am just currently researching the best product to use.

Hi all, I thought I'd continue my post here with some updated photos of my completed cooler. First off, I'm very happy I took the advice of covering the OSB. It looks much nicer and secondly, it battles any moisture/mold concerns. After some research/info from my painter, I primed the OSB and then did a couple top coats with a food safe paint that is specific to coolers. The finish repels any moisture and allows any blood to be wiped up nicely. Rubber baseboards sealed to the concrete floor with silicone will allow any cleanup necessary while giving a clean finish to the inside. I painted on a cool moose head and had my electrician install a panel, with indoor and outdoor lighting. I like how the metal conduit gives a commercial feel. The cooling system keeps a constant 1-3 degrees. The nicest part is my best hunting pal dropped a brute of a four point this weekend, so it's currently having it's cherry popped and actually keeping some game cool instead of me just saying "I built a cooler in my backyard this summer." Good luck to all this season.