Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Made Meat Cooler

Home Made Meat Cooler

Hi, I've been working on a meat cooler in my back yard that I'm really excited about so I figured I'd create a thread here to share it with you. Also, to perhaps view some pics of what some other HBC Members have built.

So, the back story is I've always said I'd build a meat cooler if I ever buy acreage. Well, the acreage hasn't happened yet but I did find a commercial walk in meat cooler unit on kijiji for $100. Jumping at the opportunity, I've started the process. When I built my house 10 years ago I also built a shed in the back yard. It was built pretty skookum. 2x4 construction and vaulted ceiling. I included an extra long ridge beam out the front for a kids swing and a covered portion on the side to keep extra building material protected.

Being a home builder, I was able to get some material for nothing, and next to nothing, so I filled the stud cavities and rafter spacings with 3.5" rigid insulation. I spray foamed any voids along the way.

I then lined the walls and ceiling with 2" rigid insulation to cover the studs to protect from thermal bridging and giving me an approximate R value of 20. I read industry standard in coolers is around 25-30 so with the oversized unit and 7' x 7' finished space inside I know this thing will be just fantastic. I built out my door to hold insulation and then lined the inside with 7/16" OSB.

The compressor unit fits nicely under the covered portion and the fans leave me enough room to get a good number of animals chilling nicely inside.

There is still the finishing touches to do. My electrician will be pulling power from my house and getting it lit up with lighting and power. My neighbour is a refrigeration technician so he is going to get me set up and dialled in.

The front swing beam will now act as a skinning beam before they head into the cooler. I will be rigging up the inside with piping to hang my meat hooks from and a crank to hoist a gambrel or two. I am going to paint a silhouette of a mule deer head on the inside and hang some of those old school metal outdoorsy signs in there too. Very unnecessary but may as well do it up right and have some fun with it.

I've just recently completed my PAL course so I'm very excited about this coming hunting season. I've been a longtime bowhunter for years and years, but i've got a thirst for learning how to shoot rifle and am looking forward to more opportunity than my stick and string has provided. Don't get me wrong, I was regularly successful with my bow but it's just another branch of being a hunter/outdoorsman.

Thanks
    Myles

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Home Made Meat Cooler

Looks awesome!
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Looks awesome brotha!!!

Nice setup.

Cool Shed.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

I think I would paint all the inside walls with a good marine grade paint, and create some kind of a floor drain so you can take the hose and spray it out when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by XPEIer View Post
    I think I would paint all the inside walls with a good marine grade paint, and create some kind of a floor drain so you can take the hose and spray it out when needed.
    nice job on the cooler, instead of paint inside, use FRP, easy to clean, then an epoxy paint for the floor for easy mopping ,

Nice job. Plenty of room! Also doubles as a beer fridge.

Excellent job....

Quote Originally Posted by XPEIer View Post
    Yea, cover up that toxic OSB quick! #mold
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..