Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gun For Elk

Re: Gun For Elk

Unless you live near a big box outdoors store that carries the ammo or know a buddy that handloads I'd stay away from the 280 even though it's a super cartridge. 30-06, 300winmag, 308win in that order

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorHartland View Post
    Hey guys got a draw! New to hunting though... anybody got an opinion of what caliber for a bull Roosevelt? I was thinking maybe a 280. Not sure though thanks!
    LOL, open the flood gates . . .

After much research I got a .30-06 a few years back. Felt it gave me what I needed and kept my arm attached to my shoulder. Lots of ammo available - pretty much wherever you are.

I was not paying attention a couple of years ago and grabbed a couple of boxes of ammo as I headed out the door -- Realized in the wilds that I grabbed the .30-30 ammo I used the year before -- luckily another member of our party had a .30-60

If I was to get another calibre -- .300 win mag would be my next, but it might knock me on my arse.

300winmag is not that big of a kicker. Just avoid lightweight rifles. Make sure the rifle fits well and if you can, try out some buddies guns first.

I just ordered Tikka T3 Lite With peep sights in 30-06 for Elk.

Quote Originally Posted by New Bow Hunter View Post
    Peep Sights Enlighten me - us please - RJ

Quote Originally Posted by New Bow Hunter View Post
    nothing wrong with that pick, you will be happy......but...you are getting a scope....right?
    I have peeps on my husky, but only for a backup if the scope has issues etc.
    (I had a scope fog up during a week long back country elk hunt, so I had to remove scope and go with the peeps)
    30-06 is probably the best all around rifle to have for all the game in bc, with plenty of ammo.

I have a 7mm mag, I find this to be a good all around gun, I shoot 160 grain, could go to 175 grain if need be, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a moose or elk within 300yards with it, ive seen this gun smoke a big cinnamon from 320yrds and lifted it right off the ground, knocked it right on its ass, if I was to buy another gun, it would be a .338, just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Peep Sights Enlighten me - us please - RJ
    I hunted several years with my dad's 303 that had peep sights. Last year I decided to take the plunge and put a Leupold scope on my Remington 30-06 pump. I didn't like it, so I decided to trade it for the Tikka T3 Lite with peep sights.
    I had the choice of Williams or Skinner. I chose the Williams with the micro adjustment.
    Where I hunt shots are not over 100 yards, so I chose peep sights.

Hmm I have used a .270 ever since reading Jack o, conner"..but felt it was lacking for g bear elk moose..so got a.338..always though 7mm remington mag was good all round BC caliber but think the. 338 is equally capable
    Sr