Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun For Elk

Re: Gun For Elk

In my honest opinion the 280 is a great caliber for medium sized game, put a self admitted new to hunting guy behind the trigger and add the pressure of shooting an elk for
    the first time it could not end well. I know I will hear some flack on my comment but a light gun in the hands of an experienced hunter/ shooter is a lot different than a newbie.
    I have seen my share of guys literally lose their composure when you put an animal in front of them, that being said a lot of great advise comes off of this site and you will be able to filter through the opinions
    and come up with what will work for you. My two cents only and good luck and enjoy your time in the bush.

I've been in on about two dozen elk kills, the majority big bodied mature bulls. They've been killed by anything from 243 up to 338, the majority with a 30 cal (308 up to 300 Mag) - use a quality bullet and almost anything will perform well. I like the 338 myself
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Just might be interested in this rifle! What's the price? Also how do you find finding ammo for this gun.

Hmm I had always been advised..read elk can be hard to put down.and that IF you had a .338 with premium bullets..it would not make up for a complete shitty shot..however it would give you access to more opportunities on less than perfect shots.
    A.270 with 150 GR you would have to not take shots in certain situations...

With this PREMIUM leh tag..take what WILL work under most every opportunity...there may not be many. .or another tag in the future.
    The elk I have harvested...reported instantly..every time..winchester .338..magnum..Nosler partition..Barnes tsx..even Hornady.

I agree with Todbartell.
    Srupp

I prefer the 338 win mag. Elk are tough and your best to break a shoulder when you knock them down. I find that preferable to follow them for miles through the bush.

I also much prefer the .338WM and have loaded for, shot and packed such rifles for 49+ years with total satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I prefer the 338 win mag. Elk are tough and your best to break a shoulder when you knock them down. I find that preferable to follow them for miles through the bush.
    i like the 338 M as well,but since i dont own one what ive had success with on elk are my 300 weatherby mag/375HH shot placement as always is important tho
    The tracking for miles comment hurts as one 6x6 i hit square in the center of his neck at 10 yrds did just that

takla

30-06 will suit all your hunting needs in BC if you want one gun. I'd look at a 280AI as well. With a 160 gr premium, it will hit hard and it should be very shootable.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Yup, but, the current Nosler .280AI ammo with my preferred 160NP is slow and groups poorly in my KMA, while my handloads with RE-26 run 3000 fps-mv and are more accurate.

Sooooo, to me, a .280AI is really a handloaders cartridge and with that my new "favourite" all-around BC choice. I really love this round and the KMA and now seldom carry any of my other bolt rifles.

.30-06, blah, boring and give me a .270Win., .280Rem. or my AI anytime.

yes...a 338 is a great elk gun....for some, but for others not so much.
    a 270, 280 are a great all around gun if you just want or can only own 1 gun.
    30-06 is boring, but still proven to be very effective.
    Truth is, I have seen some "big guys" with 300 win mags become a little scared with the recoil or have 1 bad
    experience with recoil, and then they become "lousy shots".
    A lighter gun can help an average shooter "learn to become a great shooter".
    I also do agree, a lighter gun is not always the best for game like elk, especially in a novice's hand.
    Said a millions times on these forum....shot placement is everything, and a bullet that does it's job is also key.
    I only take the 300 win mag because many of the elk I have taken have been at 320 -340 yards
    (across the river, and they all seem to come out the same trail.....my lil honey hole you could say)
    Anyways, at that range, my husky 270 with 150gr just doesn't go thru and thru.
    The elk, except for 1, all died out in the open.
    But the one that didn't, I never found.
    Because it wasn't a thru and thru shot, there was virtually zero blood trails ever.(even in the open, never found blood)
    At that range, the 300 win mag does seem to still rip right thru, and blood is much easier to find.
    But, it is also very possible to take elk inside 50 yards and no more than out to 150 yards, so any caliber if it is the right
    bullet will pass thru in my experiences.
    270, 280, 30-06 7mm, 300 mag 338......all good elk killers.
    just make sure the rifle likes spitting out the ammo consistently, and that the bullet is the right construction for these
    heavier boned, thicker skinned creatures.
    Just remember, the 1st shot is always the one that counts the most, so take your time, and make it a good one.