Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun For Elk

Gun For Elk

Hey guys got a draw! New to hunting though... anybody got an opinion of what caliber for a bull Roosevelt? I was thinking maybe a 280. Not sure though thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gun For Elk

I have used a .270 for years....and I works.
    I have however gone up to a 300 win mag, as I think I is the better caliber for this size game.
    What really matters is how you shoot with a larger caliber....some guys can't handle the kick as much, ad in the end shoot
    poorly with a higher caliber rifle....they would have been belter off with a .270-.280 etc.

So, take from that what you will.
    I did find on longer shots that the 270 did not go thru and thru...making blood trails almost non-existent.
    Thus the reason for the 300 win mag.....often thru and thru....more blood on ground.
    Good luck with the Rosies!

You got a Rosie draw your first time?! Go f$&@ yourself! Haha just kidding congrats.

Congrats on the draw. You would be well served with a 280 and any calibre bigger than it. Just use a premium bullet. Find something you shoot well and practice. Rosie's are tough but any well placed shot will take em down. Good luck on your hunt
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

hey, talk to Todbartell on this site. He has a beauty Model 70 RH chambered in 280 rem. Perfect everything gun for BC. It is a mint new in box rifle. Give him a shout. He also has other options for you through Nechako Outdoors. 100% good dude to deal with. Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

280 rem is a great cartridge, but factory ammo is limited in selection. I shoot a 280 Remington 700 LESS and love it. I would look into other cartridges like the 30-06 and 308 if this is your first rifle as there is a way bigger availability of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by gwes2003 View Post
    280 rem is a great cartridge, but factory ammo is limited in selection. I shoot a 280 Remington 700 LESS and love it. I would look into other cartridges like the 30-06 and 308 if this is your first rifle as there is a way bigger availability of ammo.
    also a reason why I don't own a .280....
    especially if you forget it at home, and the little local store only carries the regular caliber stuff.
    (no...I have never forgot my ammo....bugle and reeds however)

I would look at a 30-06 or 308. Very versatile.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

280 or 30-06 would be perfect for your Elk hunt, years back I used a 30-06 for my Rosie draw, one 165gr Nosler Partition to the chest and the bull was napping in the dirt !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

280 rem is a great choice! I just might happen to have a spare 280 mountain rifle kicking around.........