Thread: How to call, when to call and how much calling at the time for the deer family?

How to call, when to call and how much calling at the time for the deer family?

Calling all of the deer family, mules, moose and elk in the rut times
    -- I use a birch bark tube for calling moose
    -- I use a fawn bleat for deer, i bought years ago.
    -- elk i use the three melodic note scale of a bull elk in the rut.
    I'm curious what some hunters have learned and we can share some important do's and dont's to help newbies of calling to get in on the real deal of hunting the deer family.
    -- Communicating in the deer family's language, calling out to them to come in and at least take a look see.
    Jel -- More later on how and when etc -- calling is an exciting part of hunting

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How to call, when to call and how much calling at the time for the deer family?

I'd like to call wolves on Vancouver island in the fall. Rabbit distress probably. We heard a pack howling in the spring, but they didn't howl back at us.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Re: How to call, when to call and how much calling at the time for the deer family?

Elk I have found are extremely good at pinpointing locations,so when your calling move away from that location just a bit after you have cow called or bugled. if you've ever heard a bunch of elk travelling they make a bit of noise. Same goes for you... if you step on a branch, let out a cow call meow/chirp and continue your travels...
    The bulls that are bugling through the night can be "sometimes" the easiest to connect on ....especially if it's in the first week day of the season... he's looking for cows...once the season progresses and he gets some cows he will still be vocal... but will always move his girlfriends a safe distance away.. thus the term "herd bull" comes into play,if you can sneak into his comfort zone you will have a good chance on connecting with him
    Im still learning to.... but when you wake up in the middle of the night and hear them,
    best get a plan into play for legal shooting light...
    Last edited by Ferenc; 06-25-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Fawn setting on the grunt tube for very early season.

Rattling and deer-talker fawn in distress during the rut.

I have never hunted moose, but called in a huge bull by tossing my cookies on the side of the road ones... he was with two cows and must have thought my projectile vomiting was some kind of challenge.

Disclaimer: I can't shoot a deer to save my life... but I have had them sneak in from behind when im calling lol
    Last edited by caddisguy; 06-25-2017 at 01:49 PM.

One thing not to do, if you see some moose in the bush and want them to come to you by your moose call, don't call right towards the animals, turn head slightly when calling and call down towards the ground. This will muffle the call and won't pinpoint your location as much.
    It also makes the call sound behind you and the moose will come thru you, stay very still and don't make fast moves, go in slow motion.
    Jelvis -- calling is an exciting part of hunting the deer family and can be very rewarding.

Last year turned out thanks to a tip. When calling mulies with a partner use different kinds of can calls ie: a ypung doe and normal doe bleet. If they hold up the softer tone can make them think you "the doe" are either in a group or leaving either way it caused twin bu ks to run straight towards us.

mostly only do calling for moose personally. i have always just used my mouth and hands to call, i find you can get a way more realistic call when doing cow or bull calls. just takes time listening to actual moose call to get the sound right. but all moose do sound different, i like to really cover up my mouth when calling also seams to iron out any imperfections. message me if you want more info on callin moose!