Thread: Lower Arrow Lakes Long Weekend - little advice?

Lower Arrow Lakes Long Weekend - little advice?

Morning! So packing the family to Arrow Lakes (South of Nakusp - East side of the lake). So we're more mountain people - not lake people and I'm new to fishing and trying to figure shit out. Slowly. Wondering what fish are best to target and what set-ups are best. Here's what I have to work with:

• We've got a great boat 20' sea ray (lots of room) so me and the girls (10/12) can cruise where we need to...
    • There's no down rigger set up and I'm unlikely to spend the $ on it. Unless someone here makes a really really really good argument for it.
    • There's no fish finder. See above. Doubt I'm dropping $
    • I've got rod holders, a good little kicker for trolling and a week to catch fish, burn gas pulling the tube and drink beer.

So any advice of what/how to get set up? Should I target kokanees or dolly varden - or both? Most important for me is to do my best to get some fish on for the girls. They've pulled in a few little trout here at home - but what a blast if we could get our daily of kokanees.

I'm more fired up about fly fishing and there are a few lakes/river/creek mouths that I'll target when I can skip out on Dad duties. So any fly fishing advice would be appreciated too.

Cheers - Thanks in advance! Can't say enough about this on-line community - my go-to when I have questions about hunting and fishing!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lower Arrow Lakes Long Weekend - little advice?

I fish that part of the Arrows quite a bit ,but more in the late fall and winter. I would be targeting rainbows and Kokanee right now. Use 2 inch apex black/ purple, silver ,black/silver or a five a diamond spoon. 1 to 4 ounces of weight. You could also use a willow leaf with them as well. Tip with a worm wouldn't be a bad idea either. Troll around 2 to 2.5 mph .
    Dollies are still around just not as easy to catch as in the fall to early spring. I was out there 2weeks ago and landed 1 6pound dolly. That was on a slow troll rainbow coloured apex on a down rigger at 37 feet.

Cheers DB - great info.

There are some fantastic alpine lakes in that area, but getting a 20 footer up the forestry roads to access them would be a stretch. But if you're looking to fly fish, the alpine lakes is where you're likely to have more success than down in the valley on the big pond. If you had the time to travel to the west side, take the Needles/Fauquier ferry and a bit of a drive, Keefer Lake would be a good destination. Brand new 5 star lodge. IIRC there's another short ferry south of Nakusp that goes across to a park on the west side of the lake. I reckon you could sail there with your 20 footer, but there might be road access to an alpine lake from there, so you might be able to haul it up from there. Arrow Park Ferry....
    Last edited by mike31154; 06-24-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Was out on Father's Day on lower Arrow. If you want action for your kids recommend trolling for Kokanee with pink or orange Kokanee killer apex with maggots. Need to troll between 1.5-1.8mph and with 1oz of weight. This is also a good speed for small spoons. Another good set up is a small 00 dodger with either a wedding ring or Kokanee killer apex. Use around 20" leader behind dodger. These setups work well for rainbows as well. Last advice is troll around creekmouths. Good luck!!
    Live to Hunt...

Thanks Guys - all great feed back. Mike - I'll be bringing my wader and belly boat for the little lakes. More on a time permits sort of thing. Hope to get the girls hooked up on some Kokannee for sure.

All good advice. Fish are getting deeper with the warm weather, but still around. Lots of lake to explore all day long, so take a BBQ and enjoy the day. Hop into town for the hot springs in the evening to relax and unwind; well worth the trip.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Anyone know if they're still planting garlic across by the old popular creek sawmill.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.