Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: k-9 hunting partner

Re: k-9 hunting partner

Well this is just it...my dog uses her nose constant even sniffing down deer tracks and following them step by step...I didn't even have to tell her anything....i was beyond impressed with her....funny part....when I raise my rifle she stands and looks at me...when I click my safety off she slowly hides behind me....its like she read the script lol

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    What are all your breeds?
    As far as I know, Shepard/husky cross

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/...psqc05w6mm.jpg

I know the regs say that a dog that is hunting deer has to be leashed but what if the dog isn't hunting,is on heel, and just a long with you as company? My hope is that I can get my 6 month old WPG to that level of control even though it could take a couple of years of consistent training to get her to that point.

I've brought my pitbull hunting a few times before he blew out his knee. He's a short haired dog, so he's not stoked on cold weather, or sitting and waiting and watching.
    However, he sure smells deer and will point to them, which is ridiculous since he can't sniff out a milkbone on the carpet without help.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I can't count the hours my dog Buckley has been in the bush with me hunting. Awesome companion.
    Some of my best hunting memories have been of days spent hunting with him.

^^^^^Nice WT! Do you keep your dog on the lead or is he just tagging along just keeping you company and not hunting?

I keep my dog in camp while we are hunting and as long as he is there, we have no bear problems. It's a camp that is used during the summer and the bears are used to it. If we have trouble finding an animal (gets dark) we've used him and it's a quick recovery. It's also nice to have him when we have to pack out in the dark. He always knows the way and growls when something is near.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    ^^^^^Nice WT! Do you keep your dog on the lead or is he just tagging along just keeping you company and not hunting?
    He would just heal on my left side and walk with me.

OK so if the dog is just company while your hunting would that not make the dog hunting as well....i am green to this so very curious? Just wondering if my dog needs to be on leash....she stays right at my side never more then 6 feet

Quote Originally Posted by scotty30-06 View Post
    OK so if the dog is just company while your hunting would that not make the dog hunting as well....i am green to this so very curious? Just wondering if my dog needs to be on leash....she stays right at my side never more then 6 feet
    I'm wondering about this too as we are getting an elkhound for the purpose....