Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: k-9 hunting partner

k-9 hunting partner

Hey everyone....was wondering how any people hunt with their dogs...I know fowl hunters and cougar hunter do....but what about solo back pack trip after deer or other game?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: k-9 hunting partner

you can, so long as it is leashed. dogs can attract wolf attention too. they likely perceive fido as competition and will trail you to try and separate you and dispatch your dog. many tales of this around.

i have taken my pooch only on scouting hikes, when he can legally be off-leash but i dont risk it during hunting outings, even though he can sit still, be quiet and is very well trained overall.

I bring my companion on almost every trip , he stays leashed and I haven't had any issues . Always better than leaving the dog at home!

I take my dog on every trip. Leash her when we are hunting and hook the leash to my belt. Started her as a pup and she is rock solid now. Have had deer walk in on us and she doesn't make a peep.
    It aint easy being green

I'd feel guilty for not bringing my huntin buddy. Day hunts, to 2 week fly in sheep hunts. When her pack comes out, she knows it's go time.

My dog is with me on most hunts. She's rock solid and predictable
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Awesome tips and advice....thanks guys!!

What are all your breeds?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

I have an old male pitbull...he was great but now dosnt have the indurance anymore....but I have a boxer saint burnard pitbull cross....she is amazing...took her out once and she was awesome....be great for camp dog and no real wolf threat where I am....wanted to do some back pack solo trips...but wanted to bring her along for some company...have done lots on my own and tired of talking to myself lol

A buddy insisted on bringing his dog to moose camp one year. Good watchdog, but when he wounded a moose and we were all recruited to track it, he left the dog in camp because the dog was not trained to do it and was useless.

Shook my head. Why have a dog if it can't do the basics?

I know, I know, don't wound the moose. But if a dog can't even find a blood trail that a human can see what good is he?