Thread: Harlequins

Harlequins

I've got an old friend from onterrible who's trying to plan a trip out here this fall. He's a hardcore waterfowler, and asked me about harlequin ducks. I said "I dunno," and agreed to ask around. I am going to be taking most of November to hunt, while my wife takes our newborn back to onterrible to meet her family.
    Apparently they're a bucket list bird for him, and he's super excited about being somewhere that he can kill one.
    I don't waterfowl at all, I jump shot probably a dozen ducks total 15 or so years ago, and that's my whole waterfowling experience.
    So...can anyone tell me where to start? Who to talk to? Do people typically hunt these things? Is November a good time of year for them? I know they're a funky looking seaduck and that's it.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

2. Site Sponsor

guest Guest

Re: Harlequins

They do like hanging out on rivers too. I've seen a few on the Vedder over the years.

Very cool waterfowl indeed.

I have never personally hunted them but have a good amount of ontario big water duck hunting under my belt so this would be my best answer
    they are typically a late season duck so november will be ok but still maybe early. Im imagining december i have not seen them in bc before but have never spent much time on the open water, all interior ponds, as they are divers think coastal they will cruise up and down the coast between van and north end of island.
    from what i recall i have read an article in a bc hunting magazine about it out here once so maybe try a couple google search on that but the main hunt for harlequins, Eiders and scoter is east on st lawerence and east coast provinces north to Arctic basically

A boat would be best and some binos as well diver dekes no calls needed. Hunt on the bad weather days with some wind off a big rock or small island and as long as the birds are moving (bad weather) one may pass but be preppared to pass on lots of golden eyes and buffies and be ready to id that harlequin to get the shot pretty quick they can really move

someone else might have better info on locations but i would head up the coast for at least 4-5 days and early in the mornings and evenings glass the bays and inlets then set up nearby that flock might be there for a few days before moving and that might be your only chance not sure the numbers out here

goodluck

If he was interested in pintails there are places on the mainland.
    Last edited by MichelD; 06-23-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Saw 3-4 flocks this weekend from 3-8 birds in each one off hornby island. Maybe try hunting the north of texada island

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    Saw 3-4 flocks this weekend from 3-8 birds in each one off hornby island. Maybe try hunting the north of texada island
    Man, I thought I posted this last year. Time flies...so do ducks.
    Anyone have any more current Intel on harlequins?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

They typically live on streams during the nesting season and go to the coastal stream outflow for winter. They are getting rare for a sighting. I have seen 2 in the last 5 years.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

it is now illegal to hunt Harlequin Ducks in the Atlantic Provinces, Ontario, Quebec, and in the eastern United States, where most birds winter. Hunting closures have not been implemented in western Canada, where hunting of the species is thought to be rare. However, recent information suggests that the western population could be declining. A review of the status of the western population and of the current monitoring programs is underway.

that is an excerpt from the hinterlands who's who site...always loved the tune they played with it

http://www.hww.ca/en/wildlife/birds/harlequin-duck.html