Thread: Antlerless elk: Private land

Antlerless elk: Private land

Anybody have tips for connecting with land owners outside of knocking on doors? I was thinking rod and gun clubs, cattlemans asc., maybe a note at the local feed and farm store? Any other ideas?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Antlerless elk: Private land

Did you get the 7-20 A draw? I have had it twice and was successful both times, a word of warning however, it is no longer the barrel shoot it once was. Lots of elk fencing has been installed and it has become a lot more difficult to get permission. Sorry, no experience having to knock on doors to get permission, but if it is the 7-20 hunt there are lots of elk with the crown land you are allowed to hunt, hope for cold weather and lots of snow!
    KCCO

We went last year, in January. It was colder in Victoria than it was in chetwynd. We saw elk at the top of...i forget what the hill is heading out of town towards Dawson, on the right. Apparently that guy hasn't given permission in years. We didn't have a single permission granted. Spent a ton of time on lease roads, saw a little sign and one gut pile. I think a snow machine, or quad with chains or tracks would be good, we had neither, and no winch on the truck. A winch and chains for the truck would be a good call too. The few un-plowed roads I walked had a lot more sign than the plowed lease roads.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

My draw is actually 7-14, Ft St James area. Small area, not too many farms I think. It looks like one main rd with some agriculture on it.

Maybe call the CO office they mayhave a producers list to call. Thats what i did years ago.

Nothing beats face to face