Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 for grizzly

Re: 30-06 for grizzly

it's sufficient, use a controlled expansion 165+gr bullets. I packed a 30-06 as a backup grizzly rifle on one of my hunts, loaded with 200gr Barnes TSX
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Are people saying the 30-06 is ineffective? I don't think they are saying that. Is there a better tool for the job? Of course there is. Otherwise, why would larger calibers even exist?
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I would gladly loan my Sako out to a newbie grizzly hunter who won the coveted tag.
    However i believe that familiarity with your weapon more than makes up to a little more fps, hitting power etc.
    I have some suggestions on rookie gbear hunters tactics etc if the hunter wants some ideas..
    However i agree with others on this site the 30..06 will do the job use premium ammo at reasonable ranges on a bear that is unaware your in his postal code.

I have seen hunters who are shooting way more rifle than they are comfortable with..however google Justin Otts you tube video of him harvesting a monster coastal grizzly..a rodeo for sure..
    What is most interesting is one of Justin and my conversations where he had choices of calibers of weapons and then choices of size of ammo for the weapon of choice.i believe Justin bear was over 9 feet...and before i even seen the bear I asked Justin if my recomendation" on the bigger premium ammo..165 GR. Versus my recomendation of closer to 200 grains was valid..and ft er this first encounter of harvesting a huge grizzly he agreed whole heartidly .
    It all changes when it's you and Mr. BEAR. In the woods..theoretical meets reality..and your very survival depends on choices you have already made..you really want a rifle when the bear brings knives to the fight..YOU started..levels the field somewhat.
    Yes 30..30, s have harvested bears..but there are better choices of calibers..optics..ammo...choose wisely..
    Cheers
    Srupp

Can you provide a link to that youtube video please Srupp? I can't find it searching Google. Cheers.

30-06 180 grain top notch ammo...wiiiithhh a 45-70 as a back up....if nothing else it's an excuse to the wife why you need a new gun hahah

30-06 has been used to kill moose for 100 years. Grizzly are not as big as a moose. You do the math lol.

Quote Originally Posted by E.B. View Post
    30-06 has been used to kill moose for 100 years. Grizzly are not as big as a moose. You do the math lol.
    Lol, if we followed this logic we'd never search for tools that's are better suited for the job. Horse and buggy worked for a 100 years, who needs cars? Internal combustion engine worked for a hundred years, why use electric cars?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Lol, if we followed this logic we'd never search for tools that's are better suited for the job. Horse and buggy worked for a 100 years, who needs cars? Internal combustion engine worked for a hundred years, why use electric cars?
    Hunt much? Bigger ain`t better sometimes, as had been said shoot what you feel perfect with. I`v taken 2 grizz and 28 blacks with a .270. It ain`t what you shoot so much as HOW you shoot. On anything never take the shot unless you are dead steady and well within range and pick your spot. No friggen head shots. Get sweet with your rifle and you will be fine. I`d shoot one tomorrow with my .06 (.270 got burned in a house fire) .06 in the right hands will take anything in North America. Big guns can make you flinch. I hate being beat up by a rifle. Screws your accuracy.
    Last edited by sawmill; 06-23-2017 at 09:54 AM.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

I've never been bothered by recoil and the only two rifles I use are a .338 (with muzzle brake) and a 45-70. I guess I should be more considerate of the smaller-framed guys on this site.