Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 for grizzly

Re: 30-06 for grizzly

It all comes down to one thing putting a hole in the vitals. Pick the weapon that you trust your ability with first not what has the most punch. Do you need a big mag no you can get the job done with less. Is the extra power nice if things go side ways yes

smaller caliber rifles, bows, and black powder have taken grizz without issue. They can get the job done just fine

Big mag hits harder but you still need to put the shot in the right spot

For myself and many others our accuracy with the big mags is not the same. We have all seen the super hero at the range with the big mag who can't keep a good group. Also seen guys who keep tight groups

Guy has to choose what fits him best big mag or lighter caliber depends on the shooter

Lots of choices out there that will work fine for grizz been in on 30 06 kills and know of those who used a 270(getting light here). Heard of things going sideways with both lighter caliber and big mags neither caliber failed the shooter did

Quote Originally Posted by E.B. View Post
    30-06 has been used to kill moose for 100 years. Grizzly are not as big as a moose. You do the math lol.
    Not a really fair comparison..apples to oranges.

Grizzlies will kill you..given a reasonable opportunity..like shooting it and not getting the bear dropped..letting it get adrenaline pumping.
    It happens when moose get startled..never had one come after me..yet...
    Steven

The Justin Ott videos are on you tube monster grizzly bear ..there are 2 or 3 separate segments.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Are people saying the 30-06 is ineffective? I don't think they are saying that. Is there a better tool for the job? Of course there is. Otherwise, why would larger calibers even exist?
    This is>>>>>
    Quote Originally Posted by tyyota View Post
    Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!
    bOING bOING bOING Happy Friday our Island Friend! I couldn't help it
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Quote Originally Posted by E.B. View Post
    30-06 has been used to kill moose for 100 years. Grizzly are not as big as a moose. You do the math lol.
    Griz are TOUGH. Put 3 x 168gr TSX @ 2925fps into my griz at 120 paces and none of them exited. He was done for sure on the first shot, not going anywhere but not dead.

Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    Griz are TOUGH. Put 3 x 168gr TSX @ 2925fps into my griz at 120 paces and none of them exited. He was done for sure on the first shot, not going anywhere but not dead.

Interesting how if they were all shot at the same distance how they all mushroomed differently.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    I would gladly loan my Sako out to a newbie grizzly hunter who won the coveted tag.
    However i believe that familiarity with your weapon more than makes up to a little more fps, hitting power etc.
    I have some suggestions on rookie gbear hunters tactics etc if the hunter wants some ideas..
    However i agree with others on this site the 30..06 will do the job use premium ammo at reasonable ranges on a bear that is unaware your in his postal code.

I have seen hunters who are shooting way more rifle than they are comfortable with..however google Justin Otts you tube video of him harvesting a monster coastal grizzly..a rodeo for sure..
    What is most interesting is one of Justin and my conversations where he had choices of calibers of weapons and then choices of size of ammo for the weapon of choice.i believe Justin bear was over 9 feet...and before i even seen the bear I asked Justin if my recomendation" on the bigger premium ammo..165 GR. Versus my recomendation of closer to 200 grains was valid..and ft er this first encounter of harvesting a huge grizzly he agreed whole heartidly .
    It all changes when it's you and Mr. BEAR. In the woods..theoretical meets reality..and your very survival depends on choices you have already made..you really want a rifle when the bear brings knives to the fight..YOU started..levels the field somewhat.
    Yes 30..30, s have harvested bears..but there are better choices of calibers..optics..ammo...choose wisely..
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Watched the video, not sure what you mean by a rodeo,, shoots bear it goes behind a hill walks up shoots it again then
    a couple more times well its laying there.

Hmmm might be angle of entry..what it hit..hide..lungs..muscle meat,....bones....
    Great bullet performance..
    Steven

Barnes ttsx only way to go. shot lots of bears and and using the Barnes now i am a firm believer. grizzly are not something to be messed with. strongly advice shooting once a week till ur hunting trip........ shot placement is everything its the difference between a kill and a attack. i have shot bears with 308 3006 300s and now i have a 338 win mag. i have had grizzly draws i got one this year and killing lots of black bears as well as being on hunts i have seen a few charge after being hit perfectly they move fast we had one took 8 shots to put it down...... grizzly could be allot worse make your first shot count i prefer 338 in the fact of a charging bear how ever the 3006 will work saying shot placement is good. i have had to go in after wound bears a few times dont put yourself in this situation most times i have been throw this is new hunter get trigger happy take your time make it count.
    best of luck to you pm me if you need info ill help out my best.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I've never been bothered by recoil and the only two rifles I use are a .338 (with muzzle brake) and a 45-70. I guess I should be more considerate of the smaller-framed guys on this site.
    Yeah, I`m 5 foot 11 and weigh 165 pounds.Not much extra meat on my bones. Big guns beat the snot out of me. Traded a 7 mm Sako for a 243 Browning lever and love it. Oddly enough I bought my Bruno .06 from a big BIG native friend ,brand new, he said it kicked too much. This guys nickname was Sumo, like a wrestler. I love that rifle too, it`s my go to gun for hunting when the season is getting short.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories