Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 30-06 for grizzly

Re: 30-06 for grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
    Have a grizzly draw going to be packing my tikka 30-06 will this be enough?
    Bear unaware of your presence when you pull the trigger. Plenty of gun. Grizzly wounded and now you have to go into an alder thicket to put him down....I can think of a better rifle.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

^^^^^that is well put 180 grainer.....

about 4 or 5 years ago I was moose hunting up north.....
    we were a group of 5 but split up and were working a new area...this was day 3 of the trip...

I was on a long exploratory walk near the end of the day and as it was getting dark I heard a cow that was wailing non stop and splashing around in a swamp just past the end of a cut block I was about 2km from the road I started on but traversed through some timber and found another network of cut blocks that were accessible from a different road..

as I slowly moved across this newly discovered cut block towards the cow, I was letting off really quiet bull grunts and got a grunt reply from a different side of the cut block...unfortunately dark was coming fast, but I kept trying to pull the bull out of the fringe timber .....instead he stayed in the timber as he moved towards the extremely loud cow.... he definitely wanted to go to the cow instead of showing himself to me and light was too low to shoot....it was way after dark before I made my way out to the road to meet 2 others and told them about the wailing cow and the grunting bull near by....

later back at camp, I convinced the whole gang that we needed to go back to the spot I had heard a wailing cow...so the next morning we made our way to the skid trail that I had crossed a short distance through the timber from the block I was in the night before....

As we left the truck, we split into two groups, with 3 of us heading up to my cut block and the other two going a different direction....as they had further to go we waited 15 minutes for them to get into the thick before we started up the skid trail....as we were getting loaded up one of the guys says to me "hey, you have a 30-06 right?"....I said yep...."I love my m70 stainless classic"...he said "I found this bullet in my truck console you might as well have it cuz I don't have an 06"...I asked what size it was but he didn't know the weight.....he pulled it out and said "look it has a silver tip (soft lead with flattened tip IIRC), it is a silver bullet...it will be a lucky bullet or magic bullet" he said and we all laughed...I said "ok if it's lucky, lets give it a go"....I loaded it last into the mag so it would be first out the tube.....

After we got into the bush about 200 yards I heard a faint grunt and said "shhh and stop" also hand signaling for the guys behind to take a shooting position....at about 50 yards a nice bull pops out onto the trail and I aim boiler room and shoot....it does not even flinch so a second one goes into the hump/spine area (at the same time one of the others I am with lets a shot out of his 325 wsm go -his was low hump area as well)....the moose still stood there so I put one more into his head this time and he dropped.....when we gutted him out we found where all the bullets hit and what damage they did.....shockingly, the magic bullet had struck a big rib close to where the heart is but lower.....the rib was broken cleanly and all the lead fragments deflected down to the rib cage....none of the fragments were into anything that would be fatal....my second shot and buddies first shot were within 3 inches of each other just below the spine on the hump..i was amazed at how much more meat damage (blood/bruising) on the far rib cage from his bullet than my second shot (180 grain Winchester ammo)......

I would have never believed anyone telling me a 30-06 could bounce off a moose but it basically almost did.....maybe the powder was compromised or something as well as the soft point but it was a boiler room shot that would not have been fatal....

I am sure there are some that wont believe me but I know it is the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps...yes!...if they are still standing, i am still shooting
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 06-22-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Hmm imo the 30..06 is sufficient. .if used with premium ammo.mmy choice TSX..while fine bullets noselar" partition are not what you want to use for grizzly..they are designed to lose 40 % on in pact. .not what you want when trying to break the front shoulder down and anchor the bear on the spot he was shot.
    I specifically use a Sako, in .338 win mag with TSX .225 grain..all give me the best chance in the outcome of a grizzly encounter
    The Sako is smooth, reliable accurate.
    The .338 win mag has plenty of killing power at reasonable ranges
    The.225 grain is large enough to make a large hole and allows plenty of powder in the case when reloading..
    TSX is 100% reliable, dependable always retaining maximum mass..95%.ideal for blowing through even the largest grizzly shoulder between 70..150 yards..the ideal shooting distances..yet will stop a bear much closer trying to get at you.

Using a reliable rifle you are familiar with and premium ammo..it is a good choice..as is 7mm remember mag,300 win mag.

Congrads on your grizzly tag..good luck straight shooting.
    I'm available if you want to chat grizzly hunting..send pm with ph #
    Cheers
    Srupp

This young fella above is, IMO, the premier Grizzly expert on HBC and I very seldom disagree with any of his hunting opinions, but, must do so now.

NO offence, bud, nobody here has more genuine respect for you and your opinions than I do and all I will say is as follows.

I do not, by choice, shoot Grizzlies or Black Bears. I DO NOT oppose hunting them, in fact, strongly support it and consider it necessary for REAL environmental management.

However, of the Grizzlies, I have been at the kills of since the mid-1960s, I have seen MORE clean kills with Nosler Pt. bullets than all others combined and the last was a good boar in the Gato Creek drainage, with a 180NP from a .300WM. This combo also took a recent record bear on the mid-coast and has whacked many as well as in the .30-06.

I prefer a .338WM, but, for anyone honest enough to admit that the recoil MAY be an issue, the .30-06 is next in functional capability and more so than any 7maggie or whatever. I had a Ruger MKI 7RM in my mitts when the most gorgeous bear I have ever seen since my first in April, 1956, walked out about 40 feet from us in the Whiteswan and was NOT scared.

My then .338 was home in Nelson, feeding issues and I was WANTING it bad! I have BTDT with a .30-06 as a BCFS L/Oman some 50 years ago and like a nice '06 with 200NPs over RE-22 to about 2650. I am too damned old, gimpy and a bit more gut than I should have, so, I prefer to use what is easiest for me under field conditions.

I am, though, now experimenting with the 225TTSX in my Dakota .338 and am VERY happy to have your recommendation on this as I value your advice most highly.

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    Bear unaware of your presence when you pull the trigger. Plenty of gun. Grizzly wounded and now you have to go into an alder thicket to put him down....I can think of a better rifle.
    ^^^ this comment sums it up.

This whole thread reminds me of guys who talk about why their half tonne can carry a camper when it's clearly overweight. Get the best tool for the job. Just like I hope we all do at work, right?
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Anyone taken a grizz with a .308? Wouldn't be my preferred rifle but I am curious! Don't currently have a bigger rifle, but don't plan on grizzly hunting for another couple years.

Good points..yes NPwill work for moose elk bb" and NP have taken plenty of grizzlies..my personal choice..opinion is take out their front shoulder drive those bone fragments through the lungs..
    Nosler" specifically designs their bullets to fragment on impact..TSX is designed to completely hold together.
    That you have survived many encounters with G bears is a strong statement to the effectiveness of your shooting, rifle, ammo selection.
    I specifically recomend Tsx over Nosler in this specific hunting situation, for new hunters going after their first gbear.
    I respect your experience in so many aspects of hunting, gear, rifles..you talk with authority based on experience.
    Cheers
    Steven

Keep in mind the modern grizzlies really are not the super monsters that some would have you believe. They are the same skin and bone and guts they have always been, so the same old cartridges and bullets work now that worked 50 years ago.
    For large tasks use a heavy-for-caliber round and consider the appropriate limits.

And don't rely on a single shot from any rifle to do the job cleanly. It may but best sop is to group a nice pattern of at least 3 holes given the chance
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Good points..yes NPwill work for moose elk bb" and NP have taken plenty of grizzlies..my personal choice..opinion is take out their front shoulder drive those bone fragments through the lungs..
    Nosler" specifically designs their bullets to fragment on impact..TSX is designed to completely hold together.
    That you have survived many encounters with G bears is a strong statement to the effectiveness of your shooting, rifle, ammo selection.
    I specifically recomend Tsx over Nosler in this specific hunting situation, for new hunters going after their first gbear.
    I respect your experience in so many aspects of hunting, gear, rifles..you talk with authority based on experience.
    Cheers
    Steven
    Luckily my sako kodiak 338 shoots both at less than 1 moa. All i had to do was switch out my talley quick detach to EAW swivel mounts. Damn thing was expensive!

On a lark I bought a 375 Ruger. Only thing is the boys found out about it, and now I have to actually use the thing or I'll never live it down.