Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: wild life that dosnt belong

Re: wild life that dosnt belong

Theres a large covey of Quail that live at the top of the mountain that I live on. Threw me for a loop when we first moved here because I thought they were only in the Okanagan

Good thread! Lol

Whitetails on trailcam in Chilliwack/Hope area

Wolf on Langley bypass near 56th (going after goslings and goose eggs)

2 wolverines ... live one eating dead one, also Langley bypass near 56th

Not sure if this one counts but we were driving down an FSR about 25kms from any residential area and no campers... it was around 1am and we spotted a house cat on the road. There had been a missing cat sign posted at the nearest gas station a couple weeks prior... not sure if it was the same cat (it didn't want anything to do with us) but was surprised to see a house cat in an area with bobcats, coyotes, cougars, coons, etc
    Last edited by caddisguy; 06-23-2017 at 07:20 AM.

I used to see deer and pheasants on Annacis Island about 10 years ago before it was all built up

Seen species in places most don't think they belong so many times now I think little of it. Watched populations grow in areas they were never seen in the past. Animals expand their range and travel where they please they don't listen to humans

Things are ever changing and lots of animals go unnoticed when they are in small numbers or a secretive species

I was reading recently about a bird that has been wildly successful in expanding their range....https://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlsci.../#1dab085c5f9e

A few interesting sightings here in Kamloops. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising considering we are surrounded by bush. I live on the Thompson and I had a badger in my backyard a few years ago when the river was high. My neighbor had a photo on his phone. It ran across the street and laid in a gravel drive for a while. Never heard anymore about it. Another cool one is a lone Billy that shows up at Paul lake on the big bluff on the north side. Not sure where he came from but he was there for a year or two. Haven't heard if he is back this summer.

In Oakland, California . . . Mountain Lion killed by a car 200 meters from my old house. Knew something was up, since for the week prior I had a wild Turkey staying on my roof. Guess the lion pushed the flock down into the neighbourhood. Berkeley California had a Mountain Lion that the police had to shoot as well.

Also a Red Fox in San Francisco's Telegraph hill/Fishermans Wharf. Actually had deer cross the Golden Gate Bridge in traffic.

Generally speaking, I was never shocked. California is a desert most of the year and the watered landscaping attracts prey . . . where there is prey, predators follow!

People claimed we [man] were encroaching into "their" territory, but man was artificially supplying a resource through irrigation that allowed them to expand their range and population since there was more food. Never straight forward black/white reasons. California spend thousands of dollars trying to determine why deer were leaving the protected lands along the San Francisco Peninsula and crossing the highway [and getting killed]. When they announced the study, I told my wife, "Mountain Lions". 2 years later guess what the expensive study revealed? Mountain Lions were there, so the deer were fleeing. Gheez

Cheers, VFX

I saw a three point Blacktail in Glen Park at East 23rd and Windsor (near Fraser Street), Vancouver one day when I was getting ready to go to work. That really surprised me.

Lol I wouldn't have gone to work....would have hung out with that all day hahah....stupid blacktail addiction lol

Arrow Re: wild life that dosnt belong

Quote Originally Posted by VFX_man View Post
    In Oakland, California . . . Mountain Lion killed by a car 200 meters from my old house. ... Berkeley California had a Mountain Lion that the police had to shoot as well.
    Interesting just where you'll find the big kitties - once you afford them Blanket Protection that is (as California chose to do).
    Kind of like our Sea Lion problem out west here...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me