Thread: New Hunter Starting Out

New Hunter Starting Out

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself here. Names Jarno and I live in South Vancouver.
    I decided last December to take my PAL course with some friends and pick up a rifle new rifle. Then this past March I took the CORE exam and passed that and now I'm super stoked to get out on my first big game hunt ing trip this fall.
    My father didn't hunt much but my grandfather back in Finland did and I remember accompanying him on a couple hunting and fishing trips back when I was a youngster. I have great memories of these trips with him and unfortunately he's not around any more.
    Anyways, I decided that I wanted to pursue hunting and outdoor adventuring and figured that if I don't start now at the age of 36 it won't get any easier the older I get.
    The last few months have involved trips to the range to improve my shooting skills, getting gear together, research, and planning a couple trips this fall. I also plan to get in some scouting trips this summer.
    You'll probably see posts from me asking for advice in various things along the way here.
    Glad to have found this Hunting BC forum and to be a part of the community here. From the threads I've been reading everyone seems very friendly and helpful here.

- Jarno

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Hunter Starting Out

From the threads I've been reading everyone seems very friendly and helpful here.
    ....usually first post require a joke unless that was the joke....heheheheh just kidding, pretty helpful people here.....sounds like you are going about it the right way getting your shooting skills up at the range...do you have camping and outdoors experience to go along with the shooting skills you are developing?

Re: New Hunter Starting Out

Thanks for the welcome.
    Yeah, I'm the type of person that when I decide to do something I want to do it the right way to the best of my ability. So honing skills to use out in the field is high on the priority list for me... just finding time between work and family is challenging, as I'm sure you all can relate.
    I do have camping and outdoors experience as I've been camping most of my life in the spring and summer seasons. I don't consider my self pro or anything but I would classify my outdoor experience as intermediate... so definitely looking to learn new skills along the way. Trying to stay humble and willing to learn from those more experienced than I and through the best teacher which is experience itself.