Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta Draws

Re: Alberta Draws

There is a whole separate thread started by ‘Noggin dedicated to what may or may not happen in the future to the Alberta draw system folks:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...=Alberta+draws

I think the spirit of this thread was the 2017 Alberta draws and the hunts that would come out of them. Things were going good so let’s try to keep it on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    If BC allowed non residents to apply for LEH just like Alberta has for years I could understand the big huff

Really yes it sucks but Alberta residents have gotten the short end of the stick with the way things have been.

Maybe if everywhere in Canada had the same rules for non resident hunters things would be different. I have not seen much effort from BCs resident hunters to try and open doors for increasing opportunity for non residents. If anything most have tried to keep them out

It sucks but can you really blame them

There is a lot of truth in this statement.

I am fully opposed to the proposed changes but it will be an uphill battle educating people why keeping the door open to NR is a good thing.
    A major factor is the difficulty in which other provinces levy against NR hunters....

Years ago I started a thread here on HBC asking for thoughts on allowing NR Canadians access to the BC LEH,
    not too much support for the idea...
    My reasoning was to educate the concept that all provinces should share with All Canadians. Being greedy will cost you.
    Nope, the MINE MINE MINE crowed loudly.

I hate the thought that Alberta may become more restrictive to access to our Wildife.
    This is the wrong road to maintain a strong hunting tradition within ALL of Canada.

I especially hate it because the vast majority of hunters in favour of the change have no clue how many NR's are in the draw.
    When I tell them, they stutter in disbelief, usually mumble that I must be wrong....

This change is only being considered for the belief that it will somehow alleviate the increasing wait times in the draw system.
    The government and stakeholders know that this move will do NOTHING to improve wait times.
    And yet they (F&W and stakeholders) proceed and pretend to be doing something positive.

Here is the thread I mentioned.

It was quite revealing and perhaps even sad to see how minds changed after the Outfitter allocation/policy agreement was released.

Would you support NR Accompany To Hunt permits for BC Sheep Grizzly Bear?
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...=draw+resident

I bring this up again as I strongly feel we hunters as a group are shooting ourselves in the crotch with this path to continuously make hunting more restrictive, generally forcing our NR friends and family into an exclusive commercial hunt.

I hope with time we can reverse this trend and learn to share.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    If i understand it moose, mule deer would not be eligible for BC hunters? Doesn't mention elk, pronghorn , sheep..
    I have it that TJ SHWANKY"is on the board deciding this..maybe he would explain. .?

Srupp
    That would be Schwanky but you have it wrong my friend but never let the truth get in the way of a good story. This recommendation came out of a special committee of the AGPAC groups and will be presented to AGPAC for consideration. It will affect all draws other than bighorn sheep is my understanding. This is all public knowledge, including who was on the committee. I'd suggest maybe reading it before making wild and unfounded accusations. Have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    They are free to do as they please..however consider the $$ invested by non residents allow some remedy. ..
    Steven
    If you actually read the committee recommendations, they are proposing a partner licence which would still allow non residents to hunt draw species.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post

Lets be honest, it does not cost any extra to add a non-resident to an Alberta draw, so the $$ spent on priority was being spent by the resident regardless.
    Exactly! I get the frustration but talk of class action law suits for all of the money invested is a total non starter! At most it was $3 a year and as you point out it's still $3 regardless of number of applicants. So the non resident's share is $1.50 a year. I can't see many lawyers taking this one on!

Hmm don't know what or who is on the committee. .folks from Alberta suggested you were on a/the commit ie. .hence the question..

Not suggesting anything..merely trying to get facts..hunter hosts suggesting partner scheme is not going to work...

You sound like you know which side of the fence you landed on this issue..
    Yup a tad upset with what and how..but not as much as some..
    Appreciate your view.
    Srupp

You didn't ask a question...you made a statement. An erroneous one at that. I'm guessing I know who those folks in Alberta are and they should know better than to spread false rumours. How could my comments give any indication what side of fence I'm on? I merely provided some facts.

Since this thread has gone down the crapper from the original intent and no one seems to want to get it back on track we might as well keep it going...

How do you all feel about letting Non-residents in on the BC limited entry draws? Probably be around the same 2% as non-resident applications in Alberta. After 25 years of putting in for a Rosie draw and not getting one it sure would be nice if I could keep giving my donation each year. But alas, I doubt one BC resident would want to see a non-resident get one of those coveted draws over themselves.

I hear people up here bitching all the time that they are not afforded the same privileges when it comes to out of province draws (BC & Sask) as people from elsewhere are in regards to Alberta. So the gravy train might be coming to an end for non-residents. How much sympathy do you think you’ll find on this side of the border?

And FYI...my BC resident dad puts in for Alberta draws each year and if I had a choice I’d keep things just as they are.

Thumbs down Re: Alberta Draws

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    ... After 25 years of putting in for a Rosie draw and not getting one it sure would be nice if I could keep giving my donation each year. But alas, I doubt one BC resident would want to see a non-resident get one of those coveted draws over themselves...
    Apples & Oranges comparison, and you know it.
    There are more than a few "select" draws in Alberta that NO Non-Res Canuck can get in on the way it is currently run.
    If BC were to allow Non-Res Canadians into the draw (something I have historically lobbied for but will no longer) then why would anyone expect it to be any different. Over subscribed hunts such as Island Elk would be an obvious hold back.

Cheers,
    Nog - The one not overly happy with what is developing in Alberta these days
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me