Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta Draws

Re: Alberta Draws

It sucks as a guy who hunts Alberta to loose the draw option but really don't blame residents not wanting to be in the same draw pool as non residents

if If you can still be hosted for open season opportunity not a big deal no different if an Alberta resident wants to hunt BC.

If i understand it moose, mule deer would not be eligible for BC hunters? Doesn't mention elk, pronghorn , sheep..
    I have it that TJ SHWANKY"is on the board deciding this..maybe he would explain. .?

Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    If i understand it moose, mule deer would not be eligible for BC hunters? Doesn't mention elk, pronghorn , sheep..
    I have it that TJ SHWANKY"is on the board deciding this..maybe he would explain. .?

Srupp
    Read all the documents in the files and you'll notice that mule deer is being discussed at the landowner level, and pronghorn/mulie/elk are being discussed at the non-resident level.

Some good reading in the documents though that goes through it all.
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 11-18-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Read it it does close the door to BC residents going to Alberta..now much easier to hunt Wyoming for pronghorn. .
    No real reason to hunter host Alberta residents..i can no longer go back for reciprocal event...
    I did the survey. .expressed my profound disappointment. .they keep all $$$$$ that I yearly paid out to get drawn?
    It like the guide issue should be brought in over 5 years allowing us with 11 years priority to use the opportunity we have paid for..
    Srupp

Read it it does close the door to BC residents going to Alberta..now much easier to hunt Wyoming for pronghorn. .
    No real reason to hunter host Alberta residents..i can no longer go back for reciprocal event...
    I did the survey. .expressed my profound disappointment. .they keep all $$$$$ that I yearly paid out to get drawn?
    It like the guide issue should be brought in over 5 years allowing us with 11 years priority to use the opportunity we have paid for..
    Srupp
    Yes it would sure close the doors on a bunch of opportunity, and I've got a bunch of priority built up with myself and my wife....but...it is what it is and in the end the decision is up to the majority of Alberta residents and although I don't think this is the solution to fixing the long wait periods, as TJ pointed out its the easy fix for now. Still some great opportunity in the Alberta even without those draws for spending time with our friends and family. I'd hope that people don't need a 'reason' or have something 'reciprocal' to continue to enjoy hunting with friends or family.

Alberta (like several provinces and States) has some issues with their draw system and will continue to work it out to figure out the best processes to make it work best. I believe there is a lot better approach to creating a separate non-resident pool likely or something similar, so I did voice my opinion as well and encouraged others to do the same. I love hunting there and have enjoyed some great hunts there in the past few years.

Lets be honest, it does not cost any extra to add a non-resident to an Alberta draw, so the $$ spent on priority was being spent by the resident regardless.

What opportunities remain?.?
    That's it no more BC oil to Alberta..lol
    In the long run..2% by bc residents?
    Steven

Several opportunities in Alberta to hunt as a non-resident, I'd think they are pretty obvious actually.

Yes, losing those hunts would be horrible and the 2% I agree is minimal. In the end though, it will be the decision of the majority of AB residents and if they feel that they need to make the change, then as a non-resident there isn't much a guy can do other than voice your opinion. We've seen BC residents worry about small percentages (rightfully so) when discussion allocation and non-resident harvest, so this doesn't surprise me a ton.

I'd be upset to lose it, don't get me wrong...but I'll continue to find ways to enjoy hunting with my friends and family here, there and in other jurisdictions!

If BC allowed non residents to apply for LEH just like Alberta has for years I could understand the big huff

Really yes it sucks but Alberta residents have gotten the short end of the stick with the way things have been.

Maybe if everywhere in Canada had the same rules for non resident hunters things would be different. I have not seen much effort from BCs resident hunters to try and open doors for increasing opportunity for non residents. If anything most have tried to keep them out

It sucks but can you really blame them

Can this process be done before next springs draws?
    Again what opportunities remain..whitetail deer....?
    Alberta s can come hunt deer , moose, caribou..
    They are free to do as they please..however consider the $$ invested by non residents allow some remedy. ..
    Steven

Can this process be done before next springs draws?
    Again what opportunities remain..whitetail deer....?
    Alberta s can come hunt deer , moose, caribou..
    They are free to do as they please..however consider the $$ invested by non residents allow some remedy. ..
    Steven
    Whitetail deer, several archery hunts, non-draw mule deer, elk, moose, upland game birds, waterfowl a plenty, coyotes, wolves, black bears, etc.

You said it yourself...its only 2%. I'd imagine the $$ invested by non-resident Canadians on hunter host licenses isn't a 'game changer'
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 11-18-2017 at 07:12 PM.