Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta Draws

Re: Alberta Draws

Is a 13 year wait for antelope not comparable when looking in Alberta? What about a 14 or 15 year prairie elk tag? These numbers are obviously climbing.

It's not apples and oranges. Considering the only ones Alberta does not allow is goats (6 tags), bison and sheep and a few resident zones or hunts like Wainwright etc I'm actually thinking it's apples to apples to compare pronghorn and Roosevelt elk.

Walking buffalo had some great points...
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 11-19-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Apples & Oranges comparison, and you know it.
    There are more than a few "select" draws in Alberta that NO Non-Res Canuck can get in on the way it is currently run.
    If BC were to allow Non-Res Canadians into the draw (something I have historically lobbied for but will no longer) then why would anyone expect it to be any different. Over subscribed hunts such as Island Elk would be an obvious hold back.

Cheers,
    Nog - The one not overly happy with what is developing in Alberta these days

And the disease spreads....

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post

How do you all feel about letting Non-residents in on the BC limited entry draws? Probably be around the same 2% as non-resident applications in Alberta. After 25 years of putting in for a Rosie draw and not getting one it sure would be nice if I could keep giving my donation each year. But alas, I doubt one BC resident would want to see a non-resident get one of those coveted draws over themselves.
    Perception is not always reality but you hit the nail right on the head. The number of non-residents in the draw does little to statistically affect one's chances of drawing but many residents get miffed when they see a non-resident draw one of the tags they've been trying to draw for a dozen or more years. Add in that very few other provinces afford us the opportunity to draw alongside residents and it's not hard to at least see why many residents are pushing to have this practice stopped. You've got people in this very thread saying screw Albertans ever getting a chance to draw in BC now that this is happening despite the fact that BC residents have enjoyed that opportunity for decades. Again, no wonder Albertans are miffed. There seems to be an awful lot of take and no give. I'm open minded enough to see the big picture here but it's not surprising that many Albertans aren't and many in this thread will only have themselves to blame!

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunterab View Post
    You've got people in this very thread saying screw Albertans ever getting a chance to draw in BC now that this is happening despite the fact that BC residents have enjoyed that opportunity for decades. Again, no wonder Albertans are miffed.
    Likely the most dissapointing part of this thread is the instant "well if they aren't going to let us them screw them" attitude, or the suggestion that without being allowed to hunt draw species in Alberta they will no longer have a reason to host their friends in BC. I sure shake my head when I wonder what type of input they put into the consultation period. In my opinion we should be looking for big picture type thinking on how to move forward.

This is coming from a guy who has several years of priority built up with myself and my wife. Frustrating yes, and something I think could maybe be done better, but it's no wonder the conversation crumbles with a "me first" attitude. WB highlighted that pretty quick and the comments on no longer supporting Albertans having expanded opportunity here sure shows the issues we face moving forward in wildlife management.

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunterab View Post
    Perception is not always reality but you hit the nail right on the head. The number of non-residents in the draw does little to statistically affect one's chances of drawing but many residents get miffed when they see a non-resident draw one of the tags they've been trying to draw for a dozen or more years. Add in that very few other provinces afford us the opportunity to draw alongside residents and it's not hard to at least see why many residents are pushing to have this practice stopped. You've got people in this very thread saying screw Albertans ever getting a chance to draw in BC now that this is happening despite the fact that BC residents have enjoyed that opportunity for decades. Again, no wonder Albertans are miffed. There seems to be an awful lot of take and no give. I'm open minded enough to see the big picture here but it's not surprising that many Albertans aren't and many in this thread will only have themselves to blame!

Shouldn't our gov and stakeholder reps be responsible and smart enough to propose and make decisions based on facts and realistic expectations of results?

They express the sole intent of the change is to decrease wait times, and they know this change will not do that, but the proposal is being made anyway....

Notice how no details of NR numbers were offered in the public questionnaire? I sure did. Numbers were given for other questions.... Seems that there was a desire to keep the public uninformed. This is pure politics, not wildlife and hunting management. AGPAC is doing nothing to increase hunt-able wildlife populations, they are simply managing hunting opportunity by slice and dice.

Are you in favour of this proposed change?

Are you in favour of BC relaxing their NR licensing requirements?

If you are in favour of easing restrictions on interprovincial hunting, how do we get on to that path where we all learn to give?

Maybe it starts by defeating this proposal?

I reflect back on a fairly recent issue here in Alberta with the rules changing to Full Curl on Bighorn Sheep or making them draw tags for us. There definitely was some fear mongering happening . There was lots of pushback from Alberta resident hunters as we worried about our hunting opportunities for them...Well so far so good and we can still hunt them and the rules haven't changed yet.
    I to have heard of this rumour of the non resident's not going into the draw pool anymore but the possibility of still Hunting with your BC friends on a Partner tag.
    I hope this takes years to go through or not at all.
    TJ i think the question was attached with your name because of your rooted involvement with Fish & Game rulings here and just for clarification of what you know is all.
    For now Boys lets focus on the positives it still exists to bring your Family and friends over for some Hunts and maybe plan on using those draw tags up. I am sure theres a few more years this will go through discussions and heated debates but for now it hasn't changed..
    I have enjoyed over the counter tags in BC and am very thankful for the opportunity to have been on those hunts. I imagine there will be an increase of BC licence plates here next Fall with folks using up their draws that they are entitled to regardless of what it costs for the draw entry. I believe in the pay it forward idea to help others out here in Alberta as they have done it for me and taken me along on Hunts in their home province.

No, Springer, these changes my happen much faster than you anticipate.
    At least that is the plan unless there is blowback like the winds that effected the Sheep proposals.

Could they be in effect by this spring? Unlikely, but still possible.
    2019? Yes.

WB have you run the numbers on the high odd draws or just the overall 2%? I have no idea what they are but am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    I reflect back on a fairly recent issue here in Alberta with the rules changing to Full Curl on Bighorn Sheep or making them draw tags for us. There definitely was some fear mongering happening . There was lots of pushback from Alberta resident hunters as we worried about our hunting opportunities for them...Well so far so good and we can still hunt them and the rules haven't changed yet.
    I to have heard of this rumour of the non resident's not going into the draw pool anymore but the possibility of still Hunting with your BC friends on a Partner tag.
    I hope this takes years to go through or not at all.
    TJ i think the question was attached with your name because of your rooted involvement with Fish & Game rulings here and just for clarification of what you know is all.
    For now Boys lets focus on the positives it still exists to bring your Family and friends over for some Hunts and maybe plan on using those draw tags up. I am sure theres a few more years this will go through discussions and heated debates but for now it hasn't changed..
    I have enjoyed over the counter tags in BC and am very thankful for the opportunity to have been on those hunts. I imagine there will be an increase of BC licence plates here next Fall with folks using up their draws that they are entitled to regardless of what it costs for the draw entry. I believe in the pay it forward idea to help others out here in Alberta as they have done it for me and taken me along on Hunts in their home province.
    Phil are you on crack? I have zero and I repeat zero rooted involvement with Fish & Game rulings. No idea where you got that impression other than from your own imagination. Geeze man, why spread BS rumours about me for nothing more than the sake of stirring up crap. I thought more of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    No, Springer, these changes my happen much faster than you anticipate.
    At least that is the plan unless there is blowback like the winds that effected the Sheep proposals.

Could they be in effect by this spring? Unlikely, but still possible.
    2019? Yes.
    The Environment boys are taking a huge reg change package to the Government in 2018! Don't discount how fast this could happen.