Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Optics Help!

Optics Help!

Hi Folks,

I need your help with an issue that has been getting worse over the past decade. Last year I passed up on a buck at 100 yards during twilight as I just couldn't be 100% it had head gear and I didn't end up harvesting a buck at all last year. Some background: I'm 50 years old and shoot a 300 WM and use a Leopold VX 1. The scope is 17 years old and during daylight and regular distances it seems great. Also 17 years ago I had excellent vision and could confidently make shots I don't try today. My eye sight has been steadily deteriorating since that time and now I wear progressive glasses. I can still shoot a one inch group at 100 yards at the range but the twilight and shots over 300 yards are now problematic.

I just don't know what to do. Do I need a new scope or just accept the fact I'm getting old? I have looked around and to upgrade from what I have is around $700. I don't feel like I need more magnification (although I'm not adverse to it) for my shots as I can see animals fine I just can't tell detail in low light like I could. Your thoughts on how to approach this issue would be appreciated.

R

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Optics Help!

Laser Surgery and a bigger better scope?
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Sorry the existing scope is a Leupold is a 3X9X40. Thanks again,

Try looking through a 50mm objective scope as compared
    to your 40mm

Look at a better quality scope too!

Better quality lenses will transmit more of the available light giving a brighter clearer image. Any cheap quality lens can look good during the day... I have some cheap binos that are brilliant as long as it is reasonably light out, but forget about it at dusk. They couldn't hold a candle to my old Vipers that could make out details clearly in low light. Real lens quality shows itself when the lights go out. VX 1 is Leupolds entry level optic and doesn't use good quality lenses. If I had $700 to spend, I would either upgrade to a higher quality scope or better quality binos.

Think about eye relief as well, one of my more senior hunting buddies found the same issues you state a low light conditions, went to the doc and brought his scope along, issue was not enough eye relief causing his eyes to be working harder than needed to stay in sight picture especially at dusk. He upgraded to a newer scope with better glass and longer eye relief and has made a big difference.

Get some binoculars. Good ones.

The only job a scope has is to steer the bullet, and it sounds like the one you have is adequate for the job. Use good binoculars to identify your target, then shoot.

Thanks for the feedback folks. This is great stuff.

I'm starting to have the same issue in low light. Doesn't matter what optic I use, the eyes aren't what they once we're. And my near vision is much worse but typically it doesn't affect me as much in the field. I'm going to my optometrist to see if laser eye surgery is an option. I think it's a much better investment "for me" than an optics upgrade.