Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Optics Help!

Re: Optics Help!

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    Scope and bino quality has made a huge difference for me. I'm in the process of selling off several rifles to go from a $500 scope to a $1300 one. The hunters who run a $3K optic get 40 min more shooting light/day than a $300 one. My eyes are just normal mid 40s, but nothing like they were 25 years ago.
    it might be more than that, although laws start to come into effect. But I have several times not been able to see with my naked eye but used my scope or binos to see an animal still pretty easily. We had hit my moose last year at about 400yards, by the time we got to where we thought he was it was almost dark, we knew we hit him...he couldn't get over the windfall and was stuck on the hillside. We could only see his paddles with the naked eye at that time but the optics allowed us to finish him off.

Swaro and Vortex Binos, Nightforce scope
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Arrow Re: Optics Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    ... There's a huge difference between and VX1 and a VX3 at dusk. Get a better scope.
    aYup. I'll never own the former again. In fact, you can count when I lost the last one in decades.

That said, I'd pay a little attention to this advice:

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    having a 50 mm objective is pointless in of itself, if not all components are up to the same capabilities.
    After the homework, you'll likely agree with a few of the suggestions above regarding brand.

The eye thing I can seriously commiserate with.
    Going through some bee-ess again with that right now actually.
    Go to a good Optometrist. Preferably an Ophthalmologist.
    Less invasive than your regular physical, and may well effect a lot more than hunting for you down the road.
    Very much worth the visit...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by ROM View Post
    This is all great advice - thanks. As for the bino question - the point is well taken and yes I have them and yes I used them on that morning. But I don't want to get into detail of that scenario since the point of this is to determine if I should get a new riflescope and if so what kind. From what I am hearing from folks is that its a good starting point and that my 17 year old scope may have to go to another rifle. ok - so I'm convinced. Can anyone recommend a riflescope in the $6-700 range that might do the trick? Like I said the rifle is a 300 WM and the range is up to 300 yards. Low light shooting is the primary criteria. Thanks,
    As others have said, a VX 3, 3.5 X 10 40mm objective would be a good choice. One option to consider or inquire about when choosing one of two brands is as follows. Ask the store owner who stocks both models, if they will allow you to take both scopes out overnight. You typically leave your charge card with them overnight. This allows you to check out both brands in low light conditions, and firm up your preference. Obviously it is understood that if damage either scope, your on the hook for it. I have done this previously with great success.

the scope is only for killing the animal why the **** would you not be using binoculars????

And pointing a rifle and scope at a deer is totally acceptable even if the decision is not to pull the trigger. A good 15 to 20 power scope may be the decision maker where a 7 power bino can't see the detail.
    Targeting a deer is different than searching for a target.
    Don't eat that, its crap[/QUOTE]

this make sense
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

Quote Originally Posted by jbruce View Post
    the scope is only for killing the animal why the **** would you not be using binoculars????
    don`t eat this its crap
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

My eyes are much older than the OP's, for a hunting rifle consider a 6x42 Leupold, exit pupil matches the human max. of 7mm, it has a very generous eye box, which variables tend not to have most of the time, the optic quality is a good match for the power. A heavy duplex or a German #4 will aid in low light conditions.

For 300 yard shots at game the 6x42 is ideal.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I'm starting to have the same issue in low light. Doesn't matter what optic I use, the eyes aren't what they once we're. And my near vision is much worse but typically it doesn't affect me as much in the field. I'm going to my optometrist to see if laser eye surgery is an option. I think it's a much better investment "for me" than an optics upgrade.
    I had PRK laser surgery 3 years ago and it is one of the best decisions ive ever made - completely life changing! I imagine for hunting this would make a massive difference....

The thing about optics being either a rifle scope or a set of binoculars is the quality of the glass and its coatings ...While hunting the Racing River for elk ...my wife and I were glassing the elk across the Racing river near last light ..I said to my wife look at the 2 bulls fighting ...She replied she couldn't see them ..After some tit for tat arguing I picked up her binoculars and couldn't see the elk either...Passed her my Zeiss binoculars and she instantly saw the elk...All binoculars when looked through during the daytime seem to be alright but......Its the first and last light conditions that determine a good glass and viewing..You only get what you pay for !....I really do't think it matters to your age either ..It's the Glass and it's coatings ...Go to a optics dealer and view there scopes and you'll find a big difference in clarity..Sorry Leupold fans ..I'm not anymore ...Over priced ...poor glass ...but great warranty...Warranty doesn't give you clarity ...Dennis

Illuminated reticles help get on target in low light. No substitute for good glass... get the best you can afford.

Look at the quality of your spectacles as well. If you are not going to do laser surgery make sure you get very high quality eyeglasses. Not the cheap crap... and CLEAN THEM!!!! Can't believe the dust and smears on lenses of people that think they shoot well....