Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exo Mountain Gear Held Up At Customs!

Re: Exo Mountain Gear Held Up At Customs!

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Just ordered some flyfishing stuff from the USA...A long time from order to it finally coming in to Post Office..Had to pay PST GST and a fee for Post Office collecting it ..Totalled $16.52 on a $ 55.00 order...Phoned Canada Border Services and had a talk to them ...Seems the Federal Govt .....Trudeau"s Liberals are now stopping all parcels and charging taxes on them ..The American company I was dealing with said all their packages shipped to Canada were held up ..Conservative govt was looking the other way ....Not this new Liberal govt ....TAX..TAX....Oh and Border Services said this is the new norm...Sorry !.........Dennis
    Conservative Gov didn't look the other way.

Ask everyone who has brought up or complained about KUIU duties and taxes. During the Cons being in government a pair of $90 CDN gaiters cost me after the exchange and another $45 in taxes, duties, and fees.

I think there is ample evidence this not the new norm. And if it is, then so be it. The rules are plain as day.

Let's take it a step further.

You are complaining about the Canadian Government making you pay taxes on duties for something you bought from a non-Canadian retailer, as is clearly written in the law.

Where your money you spent was NOT put back into the Canadian economy.

Where if not you wouldn't have to pay taxes on those goods that are used for services and infrastructure by our government.

Where if not you'd avoid paying the duties that Canadian retailers need to pay to have the items on their shelves and have no choice to pass along to the consumer.

And I write this as a guy who does cross-border shop. Who declares everything.

Most often due to availability.

Certain brands or lines are not available to buy in Canada or if they are they are limited in the items from that line that are available.

Packs being a big one, cottage industry tents, sleeping bags/quilts, some clothing and other niche camping gear etc.

I've had to go in and pay taxes 4 or 5 times. I am fine with it. I mean I don't beg to go in and pay, but I tell them what I have and live with their decision.

To suggest collecting this money is a travesty is absurd and seems to ignore the fact that we should put Canada first as often as possible.

As I am sure it will come up, I am no fan of the Liberals. I was not a hater of Harper. In general, I don't like any of them. So I do not write this with any political bias.

Edited to add: Sorry if that comes across a little harsh. I just get frustrated at the suggestion that Canada putting its economy and retail jobs first is a bad thing. Every country in the world protects its economy in this way. For good reason. Jobs and the economy are what wins 90% of elections. Just happens we are in the every 16 years reset on that in Canada and BC.

Again, full disclosure. I do buy items cross-border so I am not saying I am a saint in this situation. Just that we should be ok with them collecting from us when they do. I've been asked to go in a pay 4 or 5 times at land crossings. Never minded when happens. Can be some good people watchng while you wait your turn.
    Last edited by Lastcar; 06-22-2017 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    The customs guy is out hunting with it!!
    Won't be coincidence it shows up after June 30th when the bear season closes. You'll know what kind of hunter he is by the blood stains.

I have purchase 100's of items from the US and border fees and inspections are hit and miss. Ordered a hoyt bow last year and it stayed in customs for 1 week and box was damaged and extra string missing. Purchased kudu gear with my Dad and brothers and got hit with over $200 in tax and duty, I returned some of this and got a refund on the tax and duty.

Last week I bought a pair of Leica Trinovids used, declared value of $1000 US and came to my door with no tax, what a score!

Take home message is that border crossing is hit and miss, be ready for tax (and duty on clothes made overseas) but you might get lucky and item slips though. I have found that items purchased from a business usually get hit and items purchased used/privately get thought most of the time.