Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bears and Trail Cameras

Bears and Trail Cameras

I just got out this past weekend and planted my trail cams in the desired locations . I have never had one thrashed/vandalized by a bear , but do know people that have not been so lucky. Is it the flash that irritates them ( if it is a older style cam - not black flash ) or is it the smell of the plastic that they go for ? Thanks .

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bears and Trail Cameras

I have heard all sorts of reason....migjt just depend on the bear

Definitely not the flash. Had several cams messed with by bears during daylight hours. Some say it's the nylon strap. No idea but my cams get messed with by bears more than not.

Got a nice close up of this cool looking cub right after it's momma spun my cam south.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

^^^^ That is one cool coat that Bruin's wearing!

Only ever had one camera damaged from a bear, This guy was nice enough relocate the and destroy the camera. Initially I thought someone stole it, but I found it around 60m away, chewed and torn up

Very cool pic and coat....yea I have heard the straps....or the smell of the batteries is similar to an ant colony....kinda like leaving something unattended in a room with puppies....they are gonna mess with shit lol

I've now had 2 cams destroyed by bears, investing in a lock box for the next one..

Putting cams in any area is taking a risk. Either it being a curious bear, to a cow with a itchy butt picking the wrong tree. If you are worried always invest in a cam box. One of the biggest tip with trail camera set up is get in and get out. Leave less of your scent. Secondly use latex gloves. You wouldn't think but that peanut butter sandwitch you had for lunch was still all all over your fingers

I used tie wraps instead of the strap supplied with the cameras . I have found that the straps don't seem too hold that well as the tree expands and contracts from the hot and cold temperatures . I'll find out shortly if they have been messed with .

I use gloves when hanging my cams in the bush and I use bailing wire for fastening them to the tree. The bailing wire really bites into the tree and without the strap, I find the cams are less obvious to other people passing by. I think animals are simply curious, and whether its your scent you left behind, the flash, the noise of the cam, or the smell of plastic and salt from handling them, they're going to check it out.