Thread: What size ice box for bone in meat

What size ice box for bone in meat

I'm thinking about building an ice box for my utility trailer. Something with 4"-6" thick walls that will keep ice for a long time. I was planning on freezing gallon milk jugs and loading it up.

How much space would I need to fit a bone in elk or moose not including the ice jugs?

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What size ice box for bone in meat

I have a 2.5 foot by 4 or 5 foot (can't remember exactly) freezer panel ice chest. It works awesome although is a little bulky.But it keeps ice frozen for over a week. That's what I'd build or if the dimensions sound good to you I'm willing to sell mine for a couple hundred bucks. Although you'd be a little hard pressed to squeeze a moose in it. I could fit two skinned deer no problem.

Why go through all that problem ?...Just get a running used deep freeze and run a generator ...15-18 cu ft should work..Then you can off load at home and still use the trailer for other things !...Dennis

Yes sir elknut is on it

But then I need to buy and carry and run and maintain a generator. Not to mention create room for another deep freeze at home.

But a small freezer still makes a good start point for an ice chest, except the new econo freezers with their 1 1/4" of insulation wouldn't keep ice as well as 4".

What are you thinking of using for the liner box?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    But then I need to buy and carry and run and maintain a generator. Not to mention create room for another deep freeze at home.
    But if you were planning on storing a ice box then it isn't much of a trade off. most people don't complain about having a generator around if you are into camping etc... Honda 2000 watt units are pretty much maintenance free and next to free to operate.

I havent decided on a liner yet. Likely some plastic sheeting.

After sleeping on it a bit maybe the size is a little ambitious. Perhaps I should aim for enough space for two quarters. If I did that I could have it full of ice jugs when I leave and bring a few empty coolers for the rest of the meat and distribute ice to the coolers if I'm ever successful.

I would likely leave the cooler attached to the trailer full time so I'm not worried about storing it when not in use. When I'm not using it as a cooler it could always hold other things I might need to keep dry as well.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    But a small freezer still makes a good start point for an ice chest, except the new econo freezers with their 1 1/4" of insulation wouldn't keep ice as well as 4".

What are you thinking of using for the liner box?