Thread: Exploring 3-17

Exploring 3-17

I'm interested to explore MU 3-17, for various reasons. Anybody ever been through any part of it? Closest I've ever been is driving on the highway on the opposite side of the river..
    Any info on accessibility, terrain, potential problems or any little tips or stories from experience would be awesome. If you have pictures, why not drop a few!

Thanks,
    Taylor

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Exploring 3-17

Pretty much driven every road in the unit. What areas are you looking at and what species.

Bhb
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

------------------------------------------------MU 3-17
    ------------------------------------------Lytton - Cache Creek

-- A number of roads run west thru the treeless hills along Hwy 1. From Spences Bridge, the Murray Creek road runs thru to connect with roads running in from Hwy 12 ( Lyton to Lillooet Hwy). The Blue Earth, Oregon Jack and Cornwall Creeks roads also connect with those roads'
    -- Fair mule deer hunting in this MU 3-17.
    Jel Good luck finding a nice muley in here - beauty area to lay eyes on - check maps on mu-3-17

I was hunted deer in there last september. We entered a logging road that was close to Lytton (in between Lytton and Lillooet) there was good ptarmigan and we saw a couple of bears but didn't see any deer but there was plenty of sign. I've heard there is good access from Clinton/cache creek side of the MU as well. The area is quite busy at least when we went there with lots of recreational activities like camping and quading. Let me know how it goes, if your nearby you should definately take a drive up there and see what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    Pretty much driven every road in the unit. What areas are you looking at and what species.

Bhb
    I would be looking for deer, bear, or sheep, but mostly interested in the sheep opportunity presented here. I would be open to explore any area of this MU for any of these reasons. I've also heard that water is a bit scarce aside from the big rivers near the highway?

Quote Originally Posted by KimberKid View Post
    I was hunted deer in there last september. We entered a logging road that was close to Lytton (in between Lytton and Lillooet) there was good ptarmigan and we saw a couple of bears but didn't see any deer but there was plenty of sign. I've heard there is good access from Clinton/cache creek side of the MU as well. The area is quite busy at least when we went there with lots of recreational activities like camping and quading. Let me know how it goes, if your nearby you should definately take a drive up there and see what you think!
    I would love to do some pre-season scouting, but I've got a 2 month old baby at home, so I can't afford to leave for these reasons just yet.. Gotta build up those brownie points with the wife for when I want to actually leave when hunting season opens! Happy wife, happy life

Also does anyone know if the sheep here are Cali's or Rocky's?

Hahaha, and as for the sheep we saw a lone Ram next to the highway coming back to Lillooet. Definitely a Rocky.

Would be nice to have some decent amount of deer sightings in there if I went. Closer than my current spot, and probably less crowded by road hunters.. The looks of this area from the highway gets me thinking that not many guys would venture too far into all that steep stuff, makes me want to go even more!

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor329 View Post
    Would be nice to have some decent amount of deer sightings in there if I went. Closer than my current spot, and probably less crowded by road hunters.. The looks of this area from the highway gets me thinking that not many guys would venture too far into all that steep stuff, makes me want to go even more!
    Man are you in for a surprise

Hmmm sheep hunters pretty much everywhere there, lots of bears, decent deer..and in spite of sheep doing massive verticeselevation changes there Iis in fact an abundance of water.
    Srupp