Thread: Leh tag allotments

Leh tag allotments

So in the region i drew a goat tag, 8 tags were given out. How many billies does that mean they have counted for there to be that many tags.

I assume they estimate a percent of tags that don't even get used. Harvest data from previous years and the animal counts done by the govt. as well as failure rates.

My guess would be there would be 8-15 billies to allow for this if everyone was successful which i doubt has even happened. But just in case it did the area would be ok but would lose tags for the next year

any thoughts?
    Last edited by Steelpulse; 06-19-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spell check

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Leh tag allotments

Good question .... i'd be surprised if the actual number of billies was anywhere close to the number of tags given out .... that just wouldn't seem right.

I know some guys on here stay in touch with the scientists behind these management numbers. Hope they chime in.

So you are under the impression that there would be 2-3 billies and then assuming 3 hunters dont go that leave 5 tags and then 2-3 hunters go for a day or two and dont succeed and then 1-2 hunter (me) goes and tags out leavig a couple goats left still for next season

this also works with there being less tags available lat year and there was more thisbyear assuming the hunters last year had 0 success

this seems to make sense to me but yes would like to hear from others

sustainable harvest rates are quite low for goats...I believe they do not issue LEH for goat populations with under 50 estimated adults

not on the right laptop right now so can't link my bookmarks, but google "BC mountain goat management plan"....you'll find a big pdf, good reading material, there is a section on sustainability

what zone is your leh? it seems 2013 and 2014 were goat inventory years in BC, I have 3 or 4 or them bookmarked....depending on what zone, the bio's seem open to chat about goat and sheep populations (sensitive populations they won't discuss), you can look them up on the BC gov't website
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    So you are under the impression that there would be 2-3 billies and then assuming 3 hunters dont go that leave 5 tags and then 2-3 hunters go for a day or two and dont succeed and then 1-2 hunter (me) goes and tags out leavig a couple goats left still for next season

this also works with there being less tags available lat year and there was more thisbyear assuming the hunters last year had 0 success

this seems to make sense to me but yes would like to hear from others
    I am under the impression there would be significantly more than 8 goats if there are 8 tags allotted. I don't think there is any way they would chance all 8 tags being filled out. That would be just crazy.

Ok ya i just misunderstood. So back to my original thought that there should be a bunch per sub unit. Maybe 2 on one mountain but 30 for all 5 sub units

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I am under the impression there would be significantly more than 8 goats if there are 8 tags allotted. I don't think there is any way they would chance all 8 tags being filled out. That would be just crazy.

Amazing read lots lots to learn, highly recommend searching that and reading most of the way through if your going on a goat hunt

to answer my own question I thinks there's 130-160 goats in the range, way more than I thought but I just educated my self on goats

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    sustainable harvest rates are quite low for goats...I believe they do not issue LEH for goat populations with under 50 estimated adults

not on the right laptop right now so can't link my bookmarks, but google "BC mountain goat management plan"....you'll find a big pdf, good reading material, there is a section on sustainability

what zone is your leh? it seems 2013 and 2014 were goat inventory years in BC, I have 3 or 4 or them bookmarked....depending on what zone, the bio's seem open to chat about goat and sheep populations (sensitive populations they won't discuss), you can look them up on the BC gov't website
    Last edited by Steelpulse; 06-20-2017 at 01:02 AM.

The one zone I hunt for goats is about 8km wide by 35km long and has 128 tags given out. There is a ton of goats in this zone but defiantly not enough to harvest 128 animals. This specific zone is a motor vehicle closure area so a lot of people don't try to hard to fill the tag. 2012 when my son and I shot our goats there was only around 10 shot.

This feb when I was in getting a ci done on a cougar, I was asking the bios this specifically about goats, there is typically no LEH season issued if a count is under 40. BUT that being said, when talking allocation numbers for moose, he said some areas need to be closed as the numbers don't support a leh draw but they will remain at 1. The reason being is that once a leh draw is closed, it needs First Nations approval to re-open. So instead of closing an area, it will go to 1 tag and stay there.

Usually the anticipated success rate for something like deer, elk etc with LEH is between 5 and 10%. That 5 to 10% of the hunters with an LEH will be successful. The percentage depends on a few factors. For smaller LEH draws they will factor on the side of caution. Probably somewhere like; if there are 8 LEH's handed out, they are probably looking at 2 or 3 might get harvested. Which is higher than the 5 to 10%. But it's a low number draw.