Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: GOS Sheep Hunt

Re: GOS Sheep Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry99 View Post
    and theres sheep in the southern half of the province to dont have to make the big drive north.
    Lower sheep numbers than up north, but closer to home so you can actually afford to go scout out of season .... i'd be curious to know how many full curl GOS rams are taken in south parts of the province. That would be very interesting to know. I'm gonna guess 2 lol.

And if success is paramount then maybe hunting might be the wrong sport.
    well not really ... you could just hire a guide .... if you can afford it. If i was rich i'd probably book a sheep trip every single year. Still have a kick ass time in the mountains with a significantly higher chance of harvesting one.

Yes i recall reading something over the years in the interior the harvest of rams is 0-2 a year. Ive alwas thought about giving it a few years to try and find one as i have time and live in vancouver and no problem going out every weekend

Would be a commitment for sure but worth every minute after dropping a full curl gos sheep

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Lower sheep numbers than up north, but closer to home so you can actually afford to go scout out of season .... i'd be curious to know how many full curl GOS rams are taken in south parts of the province. That would be very interesting to know. I'm gonna guess 2 lol.
    There are a lot more than 2 rams killed in the southern part of the province on GOS every year. My guess is you're forgetting about the Kootenays where a decent number are killed each year.

^ Kootenays are Alberta to me

why don't they publish the numbers? It's mandatory inspection on all of them, isn't it? So they must have the full count.

I think they kill a couple a year in spences and they will be really big rams with the bridge of the noise requirements.
    The koots fluctuates but 15 is a good avg.
    I couldnt even guess the GOS cali's?

And yes you could hire a guide but I dont get the draw to paying a whole bunch of money to shoot a ram that someone else found for you......each to there own though

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    Knowing where to start is the issue for most learned sports. Take golf for example, most people don’t wake up one day and go “Im going to start playing golf today”, go buy clubs and book a round of 18 holes that same day and shooting close to par. There is a natural progression that will most likely take place, watching golf on TV, buying books on golf, hanging out with other golfers, starting on the putting green etc etc.

No real difference in sheep hunting, watch the shows, read the books, talk to other sheep hunters, start on the putting green, go look for sheep in the summer, go in the winter etc etc. Like golf one would not expect shooting a good round the first year of golf. No different in sheep hunting. Sure it might happen where a rookie hunter goes out and shoots a ram the first trip without any firsthand knowledge but its tough. If its not feasible to scout for sheep, there are a lot of resources on the net that can give you a good starting point. Govt reports list creek names and some have maps of sheep distributions, sheep numbers etc. The BC record book lists kill locations. Some of these are pretty general like “Muskwa river” but others put the exact creek down. Spend some weeks looking into the names and looking for them on topo maps, do some detective work. Next go to google earth and look for the creeks and lakes etc. See what the mountains look like, how far are they from the lakes etc and think how far would most people be willing to walk. Even doing all this homework might get you the right lake to land at but it might take two or three trips to narrow down the valley the sheep like to hang out in.
    The problem with a lot of new sheep hunters is they think just because they book a $1000 flight into some lake they should be successful their first year. No golfer who buys clubs the first year expects to shoot a good round that same year. So why would sheep hunting be any different. Personally I have talked to guys who don’t want to put the effort, time or money into a sheep hunt unless there is a real good chance of them being successful. Even when I have offered to put X’s on the map that would get them into sheep, the chance of rain or summer smoke or other hunters already there have kept them from going.

New sheep hunters have to learn that even with the best gear in the world, X’s on maps etc your odds of killing a sheep might only be 20%. Its still a needle in a haystack for the most part. Are you alright with this stat and the low chance of success?

There is a good reason that old saying is so true “The first ram you kill will probably be born the year you start sheep hunting.” That means its probably going to take you 7-8 years of sheep hunting before you kill a ram. Not sure who coined this term but they did it to be honest about the hardships of sheep hunting not to keep new hunters out of the mountains.

BHB
    Good post BHB

Wow, some of the information here is amazing. It would be very interesting to see statistics on how many GOS Sheep are killed each year. I am still very young (17) but I am planning for the future with many of these hunts. I would love to go camping in North West BC and just scout for game there, as there are many GOS on Moose, Bear, etc. The next question I have is that I have seen some regions with Thinhorn Sheep open seasons (MU 6-18+) if I was to plan really a scouting trip (I would probably buy tags anyway) up there, is it really as easy as just pulling over on the highway and starting to hike up a mountain? Do you follow creeks or roads preferably or can you literally pull over and just start walking? I am under the impression that the terrain is incredibly steep and gnarly. Also, what is the bear situation like up there? I am too young to possess a rifle and with my parents work commitments it may come down to a solo trip for me no gun, just scouting. I understand there is a lot of potential for something to go wrong (not having a gun on me would make me quite paranoid hahaha) but I am very motivated to get out and just start exploring!

This should help you narrow down your search
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/esd/distdat...tain_sheep.pdf
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

In 3-17 ( the southern half/ Spences bridge Lytton) the number is around 2-3 a year and that's above the bridge of the nose. No clue on the northern 3-17 Cali area or for 3-32 and 3-31. But I would say it's at least 2-3 as I usually hear of one or know someone who knows someone. but could be higher as I am sure there are some locals who just shoot them and go home and don't email people their photos etc.

The issue in the latter areas is the harvest is recorded as Rams so that would include the leh hunts. But I am sure the bio could pull the data.

i would bet the koots get a dozen or so Rams a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.