Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GOS Sheep Hunt

Re: GOS Sheep Hunt

Yes.....40" stone the first day.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

I have taken three full curl bighorns in about 20 years of hunting them. First was a east kootenay bighorn, next was a full curl California bighorn off the fraser in a GOS area and the last was a above the bridge of the nose Rocky from Spences Bridge.

Yes they are tough in all areas they live in, that's what makes it challenging, frustrating and exhilarating all at the same time. Some areas and times you are glassing the hills with 5 guys beside you and other times I can have the whole area to myself and not see another person for the three day weekend.

The only thing I will guarantee you is, you will never kill a sheep sitting on your couch dreaming about getting an LEH for one of the areas. I have said this many times on this site, get out and hunt the GOS, learn the areas and you never know when the sheep gods will smile on you. It also helps when and if you get an LEH tag to actually get have a real good chance at getting a ram. I have heard lots of stories of guys getting sheep LEH's and thinking its a guarantee just because they pulled a 35:1 tag or something. They quickly find out its not going to be easy and most go home empty handed or with a ram that is far from full curl.

Hunt the GOS before its gone. Guys in the states would give both their nuts and their first born for a chance to hunt sheep once in their lifetime. We can hunt them here for almost two months for a $60 tag. Go out and do it.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone C. Killer View Post
    you'll never hit if your not swinging...
    Haha love that..very true. Been on one sheep hunt. Most frustrating hunt ever. Went home empty handed but man to climb the mountain and atleast be able to glass sheep and see them in their natural surroundings was worth it!

GOS sheep are not easy, I cant comment on the open cali areas but the open rocky areas are the lowest success rate hardest hunt ive ever done with very stiff competition.
    open season thinhorns are tuff to but theres just more of them and there is a lot more area to hunt. If you stay away from rivers and highways the competition is alot less if not it can be a rat race to!

good luck!

And ps anyone who killed rams on there first day of hunting just got lucky, its not easy!

They dont grow on trees but if you put in the TIME youll find them.took me 6 years.hike in off hwy
    Sheep are not that tough. Grizzlies are. Grizzlies eat what sheep eat, plus they eat sheep

Put yourself in good sheep country, in good shape, with good gear and optics, and most importantly of all, HAVE A CAN DO ATTITUDE, and you stand a very good chance of success.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    Put yourself in good sheep country
    right, but this part right here is what takes years for some people, i'm sure .... if you're doing it all by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    right, but this part right here is what takes years for some people, i'm sure .... if you're doing it all by yourself.
    This is were most sheep hunters stumble in my opinion and follow the masses blindly!
    To much envasis on were everyone else is having success!

the hunters that find there own forgotten or tucked away spots enjoy the biggest success and dont fight the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry99 View Post
    This is were most sheep hunters stumble in my opinion and follow the masses blindly!
    To much envasis on were everyone else is having success!

the hunters that find there own forgotten or tucked away spots enjoy the biggest success and dont fight the crowds.
    Sure, but what options do you have? A huge percentage of sheep hunters live significantly south of the sheep hunting areas. With fly in costs or the 16hr drive times, how many "scouting" trips can you really make?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Sure, but what options do you have? A huge percentage of sheep hunters live significantly south of the sheep hunting areas. With fly in costs or the 16hr drive times, how many "scouting" trips can you really make?
    It just takes time! The time it takes is what makes It so rewarding

For starters if its talked about on the internet forget it, after that go explore youll figure it out pretty quick.