Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Places to glass for deer in BC

Places to glass for deer in BC

Hey, I'm new to hunting, been doing loads of research and gone out a few times to try and find places to glass. Haven't really found anything I'm looking for. I was hoping to find some information on places I could go to glass, or places I can explore to find my own spots to glass, if anyone has any guidance as to where i could go, it would be much appreciated. Thanks. I live in Abbotsford.
    Last edited by ForestWalker10; 06-18-2017 at 09:44 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Places to glass for deer in BC

I would start by giving your location and some people will may shed some light...

I live on the Island, and unfortunately our deer only live in suburbs and on farms.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I live in abbotsford. So region 2, region 3, perhaps even 4 i might go as far as. thanks.

Where do you live? The terrain in region 2 really does not offer good glassing opportunities. It is simply too thick, for the most part. Much more productive are the open and/or cleared areas north of here in region 3 etc. There you can actually park your truck and glass for miles in different directions.

Of course, the other option, even for region 2, is to just get up high above the treeline and glass the high country. You won't be able to back your truck up to one up here, but you also won't hear the country sound like downtown Baghdad come dusk.

That's alright, Id prefer hiking in to more remote areas if need be. So like, just drive down service roads in region 3. park my vehicle and walk in somewhere. find a good vantage point? id like a little more detail. doesnt have to be "your" spot, but somewhere that's a good place to start exploring. Picture didnt load before. Yeah, if i could go to that place or something nearby just like it, that would be perfect. just to get a start you know? i have no friends or family that hunt so im learning the skill on my own.

Google earth is a good place to start. Zoom in on an area that you'd like to explore and see if there are any big openings such as cut blocks, meadows etc then figure out how you're going to get to those spots.

Google Earth. Zoom in on an area that's within your allowable driving radius for the day or weekend, then scroll around for the nearest road system that gets you within glassing distance of the alpine or slash you'd like to glass. First and last light are your best times but if you stare hard and long enough looking for parts of animals, not whole animals, you'll be rewarded.

Awesome, thats a great idea. thank you.

Hiking websites can be helpful aswell...tells trail conditions to summit....also get to check out pics from summit to get an idea of glassing possibility...once you find a "hiking" trail you like then you can use it for a bit to get into a different spot....or can do what I do....follow a blacktail trail in region 2.....theres only up or down in region 2....other regions you get less abuse trying to get to summit...also depends what kind of deer your looking for....wouldnt be at the hardcore summit if I'm looking for whitetail....kinda like man tracker lol "know your land, know your prey"