Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: goat hunting newbies

Re: goat hunting newbies

We are planning to probably hike in and set up camp in the alpine because we have never tried hunting this way and seems really cool if the weather is ok. Planning on a 8-10 day hunt so in my head it was goin to be sept 10-20th or 18th to 28th that's why I wondering about the goats behavior but I would rather be hunting before a ton of snow comes in. Gonna look at average weather patterns and hum and haw some more. I work for myself so I can go either week and my hunting partner is flexible too so hopefully I can make a decision soon.... Haha

Quote Originally Posted by On my two feet View Post
    We are planning to probably hike in and set up camp in the alpine because we have never tried hunting this way and seems really cool if the weather is ok. Planning on a 8-10 day hunt so in my head it was goin to be sept 10-20th or 18th to 28th that's why I wondering about the goats behavior but I would rather be hunting before a ton of snow comes in. Gonna look at average weather patterns and hum and haw some more. I work for myself so I can go either week and my hunting partner is flexible too so hopefully I can make a decision soon.... Haha
    I like your time commitment and overall plan. Every week you delay the hides get better . . . you'll likely be fine with the Sept 18th - 28th dates. We'll swap stories when all is said and done this year.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...oat-Hunt-Story

Here's a link to my first goat hunt a couple years back. Something to get ya fired up. It's a hell of a learning experience. If I can say anything do not cheap out on your boots, optics or packs. I'm willing to bet you can get away with lesser quality gear in other areas but if any of those 3 things are not up to the task you will not be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dellis View Post
    Getting out of bed in the morning is dangerous.......goat hunting is probably safer than driving to work

Learn to identify billies and do not shoot a nanny. We are losing many goat seasons lately from too many nannies being killed.
    Good study here. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...ion_08Utah.pdf

Have fun. Here's some fuel for you. Billy I killed with a single shot 45-70 and cast bullets. Solo hunt.

Darcy
    Nice solo goat and self pic there Dellis. Thx for the share. Likely not many taken with 45-70
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    WEATHER, often is THE issue and the Kootenays, is as variable and often harsh as anywhere south of the Arctic.

I have been at Butt's, two days past opening when the snow storms were ferocious and I would NOT have ventured off a beaten path. I am more concerned about this than Grizzlies and I worked alone there in the bush for months sans break and also ran a 75 person camp at Sage Creek, under canvas.

So, be prepared for fine weather OR really shitty conditions and gear up accordingly. I also tend to prefer one of my .338WM rifles for this area and backpack hunts there, but, have seen a one shot kill on a Grizzly there with a .270Win.

GET FIT, really, really FIT and practice field position shooting as much as you can. Take good hiking poles, Kahtoola alloy crampons and spare, broken in boots. Lots of socks, foot powder and blister kit, also some T3s for pain---you WILL hurt a bit, if you get out and hunt hard.
    Start posting some pics. You have lots of good stories, would love to see some country and animals. Also some gear .
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

Quote Originally Posted by On my two feet View Post

As others have said....November goats have amazing hides. My son and I both got goats 4yrs ago(Oct 5 and nov 20) Evans goat had short hair and mine had an amazing coat. Personally I'd wait until early to mid October before I'd start looking.

I spend a lot of time sledding where you have your draw and we usually have 2-4' by the middle of December

One more thing...bring a pair of good, broken-in, leather gloves. I don't know about the Flathead but every goat hunt I've been on I've managed to grab hold of Devil's club, rose bushes, or any other thorny plant that can grow in the area. It will save your hands for sure.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by 604redneck View Post
    Start posting some pics. You have lots of good stories, would love to see some country and animals. Also some gear .
    I had some neat pix from 1960s and a few from later, but, lost them in a basement flood in Nelson, 1969 and another in Maple Ridge, 1993. I have a very few as I never have been much of a photographer, just did not interest me and so never bothered.

If, I can find the few I do have, I might try to post these, but, never have seen any point to photographing gear and even "country" as I lived there and can/could see it as and when I chose.

My books, photos, papers and so forth are in storage as this house is small, we are slowly getting ready to move to (probably) Nelson and I am always happy to show people my guns, etc, in person and even assist people with fitting packs, etc, using my own gear. I did a lot of this from when I joined here until about 2012 when we had the spinal issues.....and, still will if someone requests it.

Photos, were not a big deal with the folks I worked with and most could not be bothered with the extra weight of cameras, etc. Things now are much different, but, my cell is simple, 5+years old and I have no intention of wasting $$$$ on one which takes pix......which is why I can afford the guns. gear and so on which are important to me.

To the OP - Have you ever hunted Flathead country before? It can be a pretty physically demanding hunt but some of the most beautiful country you will ever see. As mentioned earlier, they do have a pretty good grizzly population and a couple of the boars roaming around are awfully grumpy. We had one stalking us deep in a drainage after I took shots at a goat. It's almost as though they have learned that a gunshot means a gut pile and they head straight for it, similar to a dinner bell. I would always have someone with me carrying a close-range bear stopper (45-70 for me) as the bush can be thick in some of those drainages and the visibility is less than ideal for a scoped rifle.

I wrote this thread a couple years ago and it is all in 4-01, though a different sub-zone than you will be hunting. We didn't get to make it back up there that year so I never continued the thread but it will give you a good idea of what the country looks like.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...est+goats+2015

I actually have the draw this year and will post as the season goes on, starting with our scouting/trail clearing trip in August. We have always went up there the 2nd week of september for the elk opener and it seems the billies are always at the top of the mountain in spots that are more or less inaccessible. We are going to try to push it back another couple weeks this year in hopes that the billies will be lower but we have also woken up to snow up there at the beginning of september especially in the higher drainages. Later in October and into November are pretty well a writeoff for that draw as the snow gets deep and it gets deep fast. We pulled in there thanksgiving for a moose draw one year and had 30cm of snow fall overnight. Ended up having to leave our trailer in there until the spring

All in all there is a healthy goat population throughout the valley and if you put in your time you should be able to track down a decent billy. One thing I can't stress enough is to think about your shot before you take it and where the goat will fall. Lots of horror stories of animals turned to soup because someone was too eager to shoot while the thing was standing above a 100 foot cliff. Shoot me a PM if you'd like and I will take a look at my map at where zone A is and see if I can't think of a road or trail that will put you into goats. Google earth is a helpful tool but some of the faces and mountains look a hell of a lot less steep than they actually are so If you can manage it I would try to do a weekend hiking/scouting trip in august.

Cheers,
    Chris

this is a few neophyte comments but here is all the advice/planning I got on my first goat hunt....we are going to go up past most of the trees....we will go up until we start to cross the main goat trails going side hill around the peaks..when we get to the trail that scares the crap out of us we go back down 1 level and follow that trail around the mountain peak....we start on the south side as that is where you get the least amount of vegetation surviving summer drought and worked our way to the north side (that had trees and some snow).... be very careful crossing creek beds on the steep slopes especially with rocks and pebbles present....try not to look down too much.....good luck