Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: goat hunting newbies

goat hunting newbies

So won a LEH goat tag for 4-01a, not asking about exact place to go but possibly what this general area is like. I am goin with brother in-law and neither of us have been goat hunting so I would love any advice on what to expect, gear, etc. The tag is for sept10-nov.30th, is it best to hunt early in september because of possibly less snow? We are both dads also and wondering about how dangerous goat hunting really is or is it more how dangerous the mountain range is. Any advice experienced goat hunters can give would be amazing.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: goat hunting newbies

goat hunting can be scary as hell, but super fun!

Getting out of bed in the morning is dangerous.......goat hunting is probably safer than driving to work

Learn to identify billies and do not shoot a nanny. We are losing many goat seasons lately from too many nannies being killed.
    Good study here. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...ion_08Utah.pdf

Have fun. Here's some fuel for you. Billy I killed with a single shot 45-70 and cast bullets. Solo hunt.

Darcy

And obviously hunt where Dellis hunts! On my goat hunt there was ZERO level ground. Kept sliding off my sleeping matt. Partner had to tie the goat to a tree to keep it from sliding farther down the slide.
    OP, make sure your gear is good quality, you are in excellent shape and like Dellis said, have some good glass for positive ID (and saves on climbing to an ineligible goat).
    Plus make sure you have realistic expectations. Weather and inability to actually get close enough for a shot ie cliffs and slides can make for some frustration.
    Enjoy the country, good luck and have fun!!

4-01 Flathead Valley

the repository for every relocated bad attitude grizzly bear ever trapped by the COS...

just an fyi
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    4-01 Flathead Valley

the repository for every relocated bad attitude grizzly bear ever trapped by the COS...

just an fyi

Interesting...is that true?
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Always think about whether you can retrieve the animal safely before you shoot. Too many goats are splattered at the bottom of the mountain or shot in really gross dangerous spots that you really don't want to have to go into. Patience is key, and don't shoot a nanny.

I also am a first time goat hunter and drew a tag for an adult only. Now I'm confused I know i don't want to shoot a nanny but how hard is it to identify horns being long enough? I know horns must be 10 cm. ie is it fairly easy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Interesting...is that true?
    Yes.. it is true... been good friends with the bear biologist for a long time...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    I also am a first time goat hunter and drew a tag for an adult only. Now I'm confused I know i don't want to shoot a nanny but how hard is it to identify horns being long enough? I know horns must be 10 cm. ie is it fairly easy ?
    There are a lot of goat sex ID resources on the Web. A kid will have obviously short horns. If you aren't sure, err on the side of caution.